Oi! Take your gel packets home with you!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Deliberately dropping litter shows lack of social conscience and lack of ability to think in abstract terms, which for me are two top symptoms of idiocy.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Whilst I hate to assume, I rather think that you've missed the point of contention here.
There can be no other point of contention since that's the only point I made.

Do you dispute that people who litter are cretins?
I do dispute it, but not for the reasons you might think.

While I'm sure you're trolling, even if they're sticky and fiddly why does that give you the right to litter?
I didn't say it did. I said it was easier to toss it than to put it back in ones pocket. That is why they get tossed.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
No excuse at all. If you don't like dealing with the wrappers, do what I do and buy a couple of gel flasks. Easier to access too.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
If you are worried about messy hands from empty gel wrappers, why not just carry a small plastic bag ( like the ones you put veg into in shops) and put the gel wrapper in that and then in your pocket to be binned later? I don't use gel but that's method I use for banana skins, sweet wrappers etc. It's no effort at all. Some folk are just utterly pathetic.

huggy

The tear off tabs seem the main problem, I know I find them a fiddle and its tempting to spit them out (I don't), then easy to drop. Could they be designed so the tabs don't detach?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The same should apply to all take away food too, the roads round here are often littered with McDs, Costa, KFC etc & there isn't any of these outlets for about 15 miles :okay:
There's still somewhere in this country where you can go 15 miles each way without a Costa?!?! :eek: We've some branches around here where you can sit in and see another Costa...

Anyway, our verges are full of their products so I'm in favour of making it legal to take any of their litter to their nearest outlet and set fire to it in the entrance. :thumbsup: :evil:

screenman

Legendary Member
And it's not like stuff getting blown out of a car window on a motorway, is it? I mean, if these events really aren't races, people can just stop (safely of course), go back, and pick their accidentally dropped sh1t up, can't they.

I think for most who partake it is a race, unfortunately.

LocalLad

Have you ever tried to put a used gel wrapper back in your pocket? It's fiddly and messy, you end up with sticky goo all over your hands and then the dregs seep through your jersey and make your back really uncomfortable. Much easier to just toss it.
Yes, I have many times. In fact, I put two away in my tri top on Sunday...at speed, and into much tighter pockets than a cycle top

JoshM

There can be no other point of contention since that's the only point I made.

I do dispute it, but not for the reasons you might think.

I didn't say it did. I said it was easier to toss it than to put it back in ones pocket. That is why they get tossed.

So do you toss them, or are you offering a (totally unacceptable) reason for why other people do it?

Either way it's not acceptable. As I said before its rude and arrogant to litter, presuming that your enjoyment of a public space is more important than anyone else's. If your choice of energy is inconvenient then chose something else.

For clarity, I'm using you in the general sense, not you personally.

Kernow Cyclista

600 discarded cheap broken and unrecyclable bodyboards were dumped on just 3 Cornish beaches in one month and had to be cleared up by local (many volunteer) beach cleaners. Shameful.
I don't know whether gel wrappers could be made out of fast biodegrading material but I do know holidaymakers could buy a better quality bodyboard that would last years and wouldn't break after 6 waves and end up a hazard to wildlife on some beach.
Dropping litter of any kind is sheer laziness, isn't it. And as Globalti says, a lack of social concience.

winjim

Smash the cistern
So do you toss them, or are you offering a (totally unacceptable) reason for why other people do it?

Either way it's not acceptable. As I said before its rude and arrogant to litter, presuming that your enjoyment of a public space is more important than anyone else's. If your choice of energy is inconvenient then chose something else.

For clarity, I'm using you in the general sense, not you personally.
There are some things which really ought to go without saying.

Yes, I have many times. In fact, I put two away in my tri top on Sunday...at speed, and into much tighter pockets than a cycle top
Ah well, if you're doing tri then presumably your kit is wet from swimming, so you have somewhere to wipe your sticky hands.

JoshM

There are some things which really ought to go without saying.

Ah well, if you're doing tri then presumably your kit is wet from swimming, so you have somewhere to wipe your sticky hands.

Indulge me then and answer the question directly despite how obvious the answer may be. I'm not very clever you see. Do you toss your gel wrappers, or are you just excusing those who do?

Top Bottom