Oiling my chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Darkelf720

Hey everyone.

Could you tell me, how often would your recommend oiling my bike chain? I am now doing about 5-10 miles a day ish and some of that is on grass, gravel track and pavements. Had the bike two weeks tomorrow and not oiled it yet. The chain makes no noise or signs of stress and I don't want it to.

I am really new to cycling and am loving it.

Thanks in advance,

DE

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Use a bottle with a dropper, not a spray. Blob a drop of oil on each 'roller' (the middle bit). Then use an old cloth (old cotton t-shirts are ideal) and wipe the chain down to remove excess dirt and oil. I tend to oil my MTB depending on conditions, sometimes I won't need to oil the chain for a few rides, but depending upon dust/mud then the chain needs oiling more often.

Spray's just get oil everywhere.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
In short yes.

Maybe weekly. Maybe less often. More if you've been out in wet conditions.

Search this forum for the "Mickle method" which basically means wipe your chain down with a rag to get most of the crud off it, oil it - one drop per roller - then wipe it with the rag again to get the excess oil off.

The subject of "which chain lube" is one that is often discussed on here. It can become very heated indeed. People have definite views ;). But basically any old oil will do. A tin of 3-in-1 or a little bottle of chain lube from Halfords. Or (so I don't get flamed) Chainsaw oil which you can buy for three shillings a gallon or something.

Edit. Cross post with @fossyant Two CC-ers broadly agreeing on the subject of chain lubrication. That has to be a first!! :smile:
I agree!!

ChrisEyles

Guru
I find putting a single drop of oil on each roller a bit of a faff, so I use a dropper bottle and very gently squeeze a tiny flow of oil out with the dropper resting on the chain while turning the cranks backwards with my hand. After a few revolutions I reckon the oil gets onto most of the rollers, and then wiping around with a cloth should transfer oil to any that get missed.

When I was commuting I used to oil/clean my chain about once a week - a bit more if rainy and muddy, less if dry and clean. My MTB I do more often, every 2-3 rides, which works out every week or two.

Takes about 10 minutes, and that includes a drop of oil on derailleur pivots and a squirt of GT85 in gear/brake cable housings, plus a quick once over of the bike. A full clean takes me more like 30 minutes, but frankly if the drive train and moving parts are all clean & oiled it doesn't really matter if your frame looks like it's never been washed (at least from a performance/longevity point of view... there is something nice about a clean bike!).

Little and often is much much better for cleaning and maintaining a bike than blitzing it once every year!

Search this forum for the "Mickle method" which basically means wipe your chain down with a rag to get most of the crud off it, oil it - one drop per roller - then wipe it with the rag again to get the excess oil off.
At the risk of being accused of heresy and burned in oil of the forum's choice, have never really understood this.
Surely you need to fairly often give the chain a deep clean (I keep leaving it to late) for the hallowed mickle method isn't going to get all the collected grit out from between the links?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
At the risk of being accused of heresy and burned in oil of the forum's choice, have never really understood this.
Surely you need to fairly often give the chain a deep clean (I keep leaving it to late) for the hallowed mickle method isn't going to get all the collected grit out from between the links?
I think the mickle method is used hoping that the new oil will flush through the rollers and "wash" the grit out, whereas a deep clean with degreaser or something is hoping that the degreaser will flush through the rollers and "wash" the grit out and then either evaporate or itself be flushed out by the new oil... are you going to bet on two successful flushes or one? And degreaser isn't the easiest thing to wash away with oil, either, as it reacts with it a bit, plus some degreasers will damage surfaces as they react with oil... it's all a slippery mess, I tell you!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
@Moderators, this man is clearly crazy - ban him from the forum ! :laugh:
I think he makes a lot of sense :okay:

I think the mickle method is used hoping that the new oil will flush through the rollers and "wash" the grit out, whereas a deep clean with degreaser or something is hoping that the degreaser will flush through the rollers and "wash" the grit out and then either evaporate or itself be flushed out by the new oil... are you going to bet on two successful flushes or one? And degreaser isn't the easiest thing to wash away with oil, either, as it reacts with it a bit, plus some degreasers will damage surfaces as they react with oil... it's all a slippery mess, I tell you!
My shaking the chain around in a 1 litre milk bottle of degreaser does get pretty much all the grot out from between the rollers. I then rinse with water and dry. and dry brush between rollers to get other bits out. and relube. I use a sort of mickle between times - the light oil i use DOES clean the outside of the plates with some help from my rag but I can't see it dislodging all the grit from within the chain. I have just changed a chain that I had left too long - there was a hell of a lot of grit in it - couldn't have been doing my drivetrain much good.

I think my method sound - I just need to clean more often.

BigMeatball

Could you tell me, how often would your recommend oiling my bike chain?

I oil my chain once a month, I clean it once every 3 months.

Haven't had my bike serviced yet but I plan on having it serviced once a year and having the chain changed at every service.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
My shaking the chain around in a 1 litre milk bottle of degreaser does get pretty much all the grot out from between the rollers. I then rinse with water and dry. and dry brush between rollers to get other bits out. and relube.
You deliberately put water on your chain? :eek: Oh well, at least you're not salting it! ;)

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I use the Mickle method, I've gone as far in the past as to say it's the best tip I've come across on the forum.

My approach is to ensure my chain, cassette and chain rings are scrupulously clean and not covered in any sort of lube. Although I very rarely take the chain off, like you, I clean thoroughly between the rollers. Then as the great one describes apply a drop of lube to each roller.

I have a VERY oily cotton drying up cloth which I use to wipe down the chain as I put the bike away. If I've been on a wet gritty ride I'll flush the whole drive chain with a garden hose and perhaps a stiff brushing for the cassette.

My whole drive chain is rarely dirty and I put this down to the minimal amount of lube involved. Lube attracts dust and grit and helps spread it across the whole drive chain. The only lube I use is on the rollers with the rest of the system relying on oil spreading from these. The oily rag provides enough extra lube to replace what has been used.

When the chain looks a bit dry I'll pop a drop on each roller. When the drive chain looks like it needs it I'll do a degrease when I'm washing the bike on my stand.

This is the best explanation I can offer other than to promise that for me it works. My chain maintenance is both minimal and excellent!!!!!!

I use Chain Juice Ceramic (red one) and very occassionally the Dry Conditions (black one). Great stuff, a bottle lasts around two years.
https://images.app.goo.gl/uNcwamXBJyiFxZHX8

If it helps put this in perspective I ride 150-200 miles a week usually totalling +/-7500 per annum. I get through 1-2 chains a year per bike.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I've used the Mickle method. It does a nice job of cleaning the outside edge of the plates.
What it doesn't do is clean the enormous piles of crap that pile up in between the plates and that's no good imo.
Mickle method for a couple weeks then it's given a thorough clean.
This all depends on the oil, weather and road/offroad conditions obviously.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Hey everyone.

Could you tell me, how often would your recommend oiling my bike chain? I am now doing about 5-10 miles a day ish and some of that is on grass, gravel track and pavements. Had the bike two weeks tomorrow and not oiled it yet. The chain makes no noise or signs of stress and I don't want it to.

I am really new to cycling and am loving it.

Thanks in advance,

DE
Hi, glad to read your having such a good time. I won't go in to huge detail as you can find this yourself but do discover the "Mickle Method" by searching the forum.

It is simplicity itself and works brilliantly. With the sort of riding you describe you won't need to do a full clean very often.

After every ride always wipe down with an oily rag and if things look a bit mucky flush first with a garden hose. Only oil when the chain starts to look a bit dry.

Don't over oil as this will attract and trap lots of dust and grit and make your chain sticky and dry to touch. If you can freely and smoothly slide a finger along the inner surface of the chain all is well. A very fine trail of oil will be left on your finger. If it's sticky and doesn't feel smooth the chain is dirty and you're overdoing the lube.

Top Bottom