OK, best place to buy Cadbury's Chocolate?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Cadbury's in Australia is great, I had flavours they don't do here, including Black Forest which was as addictive as cocaine.
pi621495_-_cadbury-cherry-ripe-52g.png

'nuf said

Globalti

Legendary Member
The problem with chocolate in hot countries is that its specially formulated so that it doesn't develop a white ' bloom' or melt which can alter the flavour.

Yes, as you certainly know, chocolate made in Ghana with Ghana cocoa is very different indeed from British chocolate. The Ghana version is formulated to remain hard in tropical temperatures so it has a hard, dry, non-fatty texture but the cocoa taste is very good and it's quite addictive. Golden Tree is the best known brand. https://www.goldentreeghana.com/

American Hershey bars taste of rancid milk because thats how the original chocolate, made by Quakers who moved to America, tasted when made with rancid milk collected from farms outside the city before refrigeration.

postman

Legendary Member
In 10 mins i am going out to see old Jack a long retired Postie mate of mine.I will purchase a bar for 50p from my local post office and wonderful it is too.

steverob

Guru
There used to be numerous shops in the States that sold Cadbury's chocolate imported from the UK (at huge price markups of course) to homesick ex-pats and others who would appreciate it, but when Hershey's renegotiated their contract as the official licensee of Cadbury's in the US a few years back, they got a clause inserted saying that they were the only ones who could sell anything Cadbury's branded from then on. Cue numerous lawsuits to get these shops shut down (or at least the Cadbury's products removed from them), even though the Hershey's versions were very different (e.g. terrible) or not actually ones that they were even producing for the US market anyway.

I only heard about this when I went to the United Kingdom bit of Epcot in Walt Disney World. Their sweet shop used to do a roaring trade in a wide range of British chocolate, but now has hardly anything on sale. I think Nestle allows them to sell things that aren't available in the US (so things like Smarties yes, but KitKats no) and they have some stuff from Tunnocks and other independent suppliers, but there's no Cadbury's or Mars products any more. Shame, because it always amused me to see Yanks buying British chocolate bars at $3 a pop!

tamiya

So, where in the world is the best Cadburys bar? Or am I crazy? Anybody else notice differences?

I will only buy Cadbury Dairy Milk that's been Made in Australia. :hungry:

Everywhere else, I get tempted to try but imho their versions just tastes foul.

Even with Australian Cadbury at one stage they've tried playing funnybuggers - tried to modify the recipe by reducing cocoa butter & adulterating with veg fat :thumbsdown: that lot tasted off, I stopped buying for 3-4 yrs. They changed back after buyer uproar supposedly.

Have visited Cadbury factory in Tasmania, great tour! :thumbsup:

postman

Legendary Member
Our Post Office was closed when i got there,sorry to say there was an attempted robbery at it yesterday.So i got a Cadbury's milk bar on the way home from another shop.It was cack it was soft and limp,now what did that remind me of.It was horrible.I think i might start a campaign that all shops must put chocolate in a fridge when hot weather abounds.

classic33

Leg End Member
Our Post Office was closed when i got there,sorry to say there was an attempted robbery at it yesterday.So i got a Cadbury's milk bar on the way home from another shop.It was cack it was soft and limp,now what did that remind me of.It was horrible.I think i might start a campaign that all shops must put chocolate in a fridge when hot weather abounds.
Two things.
Thought the chocolate was being bought for someone else, not yourself.
Partially melted/soft chocolate should be easier use as a body rub, in tropical Leeds.

simonali

Guru
Most of the bigger supermarkets 'round 'ere have a small American candy section and the prices are eye-watering. I've no idea who is buying Baby Ruth bars at £2.50 a pop, but they need their bumps felt!

Australian Cadbury's is horrible, too. Chocolate should melt on the tongue, not chewed because it has been formulated to withstand 40°C ambient temps!

Top Bottom