Ok, going to try first commute...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I find I feel less tired cycling to work than if I get the bus.
X2 on this point. I feel quite lethargic if I drive to work but cycling wakes me up and for some reason this lasts all day.

Heigue'r

Veteran
All the above.Its bloody brilliant.Its really really addictive.Im in the sorry I didnt start sooner camp.As I get fitter Im beating the time it takes for the combined tube/car trip.Saving fortunes on fares and fuel.
Good luck with your first trip.

mustang1

Guru
Good luck I'm sure you'll be fine.

Now about hose long hours at the office. How did that creep up on us? Years ago I recall the working week was 35 hours, and sometimes 40. Nowadays I have a guy bragging about how long he spends at the office and I told him that's nothing to show off about, go home to your kid.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Consider kitting your bike up with a pannier rack so you can carry the load in a pannier bag rather then on your back if the overall weight on your shoulders and sweaty back syndrome starts to bother you

(corrected spelling error)

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Consider kitting your bike upon with a pannier rack so you can carry the load in a pannier bag rather then on your back if the overall weight on your shoulders and sweaty back syndrome starts to bother you
And you can get panniers designed for carrying suits etc or take the car once a week with a weeks worth in assuming you have somewhere to keep them ?

As for age , 50 next year with only a 10 mile each way commute but a manual job lifting all day in a hot , noisy car weld shop ;)

OP
OP
Cp40Carl

Cp40Carl

Über Member
I managed to get away with storing my phones and passes and things in my seat bag (just). As wasn't doing as many miles as I would have done on a weekend ride I left the Lycra and cyclewear at home and cycled in a shirt and work shoes. I figured that, as they do this in the norm in Luxembourg I'd leave the 'in the peloton' look for my longer adventures.

Worked a treat. Looking forward to next one. Thanks for all of the words of encouragement and sage advice everyone, it really was appreciated.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Enjoy - I don't commute by bike everyday but the days I do are the best.

Don't use age as an excuse - I'm early 50s and have a proper hilly commute - great for getting the extra miles and climbing in your legs for those weekend adventures.
I second that: I'm perilously close to turning 50, and have a 36 mile round-trip commute with about 2000 feet climbing, plus I've just returned from the Alps and Pyrenees, having done a huge amount of climbing. You really can get used to anything, if you get enough practice.

Top Bottom