Ok, what's the problem with red trousers?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
While listening to the radio last night a former MP was asked what his pet hates are. He replied cats and men who wear red corduroy pants. The other day Jeremy Clarkson referred to council officials who've closed his restaurant down as 'the red trouser brigade', or something like that. I bought a pair of 'wine' moleskin trousers the other week. I now have a slight worry about wearing them in case someone makes a nasty comment! :unsure: I often hear on Cycle Chat posters saying "wear what you like" and "I don't give a toss what others think". So why are red pants worn by men ridiculed so much?🤔

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Don't worry. Your red trousers certainly looked less daft than my white jeans at a Free concert in Truro in 1969.

Accy you actually look good in the stuff that you pick and wear. Derogatory comments I suspect are targeted at those who are have not maintained their physical look and shape and whatever they wear does not gel. The overweight guy with a beer belly in red pants, the balding muppet with wispy ponytail, holding on to the mullet, drain pipe jeans, etc.

I have seen matured men and women who wear retro stuff and they look great as they understand fashion. They typically are well groomed and mannered and not necessarily posh or poncy.

Last edited:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
While listening to the radio last night a former MP was asked what his pet hates are. He replied cats and men who wear red corduroy pants. The other day Jeremy Clarkson referred to council officials who've closed his restaurant down as 'the red trouser brigade', or something like that. I bought a pair of 'wine' moleskin trousers the other week. I now have a slight worry about wearing them in case someone makes a nasty comment! :unsure: I often hear on Cycle Chat posters saying "wear what you like" and "I don't give a toss what others think". So why are red pants worn by men ridiculed so much?🤔

Because they're associated with certain types of toff. Think "Tim Nice-bit-dim" 👍

BBC 2013

There's also a blog called 'Look at my f*ck*ng red trousers', but the site rude word filter doesn't let me post the URL.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Accy you actually look good in the stuff that you pick and wear. Derogatory comments I suspect are targeted at those who are have not maintained the physical look and shape and whatever they wear does not gel. The overweight guy with a beer belly in red pants, the balding muppet with wispy ponytail, holding on to the mullet, drain pipe jeans, etc.

I have seen matured men and women who have wear retro stuff and they look great as they understand fashion. They typically are well groomed and mannered and not necessarily posh or poncy.

A nice comment, thank you!:okay:

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
It's been a "thing" for a few years now. We're seen as being a posh boys indulgence. Only for Sloanes on the range\lash.

https://lookatmyfarkingredtrousers.blogspot.com/

My daughter gave me a pair one Christmas, bright crimson, and dared me to wear them. They look lovely, thanks.

Generally these days anything Clarkson is against, is an indicator of a good thing. The modern reactionary in Levi's.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
While listening to the radio last night a former MP ...
was it Michael Portillo?

Tenkaykev

Guru
I have a pair of red golfing trousers which I wear on Christmas Day accompanied by a Christmas themed shirt and tie. Far more dapper than a woolly sweater 🎅

Portillo wouldn't say that about red trousers because he wears worse!

At uni a mate used to wear coloured jeans. Pink, orange, red, and a few colours I couldn't recognise! It was just amazing to realise there were such items of apparel available as I'd only seen blue, black and various mixes in between in jeans at the time.

Red trousers are a sign of the older, don't give a shoot generation who grew into adults in the 60s I reckon. Or eccentric younger people or younger people with their own "style". It's OK if that's your taste but you're in the minority which can get unkind responses from people.

Top Bottom