OK, who can advise on doing up this old MTB?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
OK, I am at my brother's flat in Spain. He has a few old bikes here and they are sadly neglected. I plan to buy all the parts in the UK and bring back another time and sort. I need to plan ahead as the nearest half decent bike shop is 25k away and I don't want to be doing multiple trips for an odd bolt. Also need to come with all tools needed.

I want your collective advice on sorting out this Ammaco. 1990s vintage at a guess, 7 speed, and has been an ideal run around for beach runs, 20-30k gravel tracks.....CrMo 4130 which seems quite light. Is it actually any good?

A long term problem has been the LH shifter which for years to go from small to medium ring required to go up to big ring then drop back. Now doesn't work at all!.. This year the RH shifter seems knackered too so currently running as a single speed on small to small, which is surprisingly usable!

I will post loads of pics in a mo but current shopping list is

New 7 speed trigger shifter/brakes with alloy levers (any suggestions)
7 speed cassette (will post a pic in a mo, but I have got a cassette there haven;t I?)
7 speed chain
New V brakes (will they fit on the mountings
Handlebar grips
New cables all round (I will bring a selection of cable ends etc
Possible new chainset. Will gamble that the old one works ok.
BB will leave as seems ok
New pedals as RH knackered

Fire away with all advice, particularly "minor" issues I am going to suddenly find when I arrive with wrong tools/not enough parts etc!

IMG_6166.JPG

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
Also, wheels seem fine, as do tyres.

If I put v brakes on, are those front and rear mounting points going to work out OK?

Final point, is the issue with the front mech I described above more likely to be the mech itself than the shifter?

Attachments

• IMG_6167.JPG
    IMG_6167.JPG
    216.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_6168.JPG
    IMG_6168.JPG
    251.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_6170.JPG
    IMG_6170.JPG
    232.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_6171.JPG
    IMG_6171.JPG
    198.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6172.JPG
    IMG_6172.JPG
    209.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_6173.JPG
    IMG_6173.JPG
    207.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_6174.JPG
    IMG_6174.JPG
    168.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_6175.JPG
    IMG_6175.JPG
    159.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_6177.JPG
    IMG_6177.JPG
    254.4 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_6178.JPG
    IMG_6178.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 66

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Also, wheels seem fine, as do tyres.

If I put v brakes on, are those front and rear mounting points going to work out OK?

Final point, is the issue with the front mech I described above more likely to be the mech itself than the shifter?
Looks more like a 7 speed freewheel to me, take the wheel out and check.

As for V-brakes they'll fit but you need V compatible brake levers, I use combined 7 speed shifter/brakes on 3 of my bikes they used to be quite common but are getting harder to find unless NOS.

These are the ones I used,

DSCN0076.JPG

EDIT - This is also a conversion from 'Cantis' to Vs

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Looks like a solid budget bike and in good condition. The chainset looks ok but worth removing the bb to grease it. You'll need a crank puller, they've never heard of them down here so use a hammer and lump of wood, you can choose. The fd should be fine too. New cables should sort most out. You'll need appropriate spanners to remove the canti hanger from the headset, while you're there grease the bearings assuming they're ok.

You might find this useful:

View: https://youtu.be/PMyVtWzeuBA

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Your parts list would end up being more than twice what the bike is worth - as others have said strip and clean and see what really, really has to be done.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
OK, many thanks!
1. Whilst I could strip down and see what is needed, but my main point is that being miles from a source of cheap and correct parts I need to plan ahead. Hence I will buy the stuff I am pretty certain I need and bring with me
2 Pretty certain that is a cassette. Has a Hyperglide lock ring.
3 How can I tell the difference between levers/shifters for V brakes or cantis? Happy to leave the cantis on but think I have spare set of V brakes in the loft at home
4 Regarding the cost not being worth it I have to disagree. Assume I spend fifty quid, my options are to find a similar bike in great nick locally for £50 (unlikely and a hassle), or if in the UK bring it out (£30 odd quid on Easyjet).

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
Leave the cantis on, unnecessary expense changing them and the levers?
Can't you pinch some thumb shifters off one of the other bikes?
If I replace the current shifter/brake units, I will need both thumb shifters PLUS brake levers won't I? And are brake levers dedicated to either V or canti, or will they do both?

Jody

Stubborn git
If it was me I would drop a new chain on as the cassette and chainset don't look too worn. New cable, outers, brake pads, pedals and a front mech. Strip and clean bearings etc then leave it at that.

Top Bottom