Old and new.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonsidneyb

Have any of you taken an old lugged steel framed bike and gave it a full modern drive like the latest 105, Ultegra, or DuraAce?

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
yes and no. i've taken an old lugged steel frame and built it up with modern leftovers from another bike's upgrade (shimano sora plus assorted unbranded bits).

still cost more than the bike was worth, but hey…

black.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I think the best option on a classic is to go for the alloy components that are silver - e.g. Athena and below Campag, and the old DA 7800

stevevw

Guru
This is my Dyna Tech 705 under construction. Veloce 10 Speed Group, Chorus aero seatpost, Cinelli Bars and Stem. Just need to decide what colour cable outers to get then i can finish this one off.

PA290986.jpg

PA290989.jpg

PA290990.jpg

PA290987.jpg

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Tasty!!! I'm running my old DynaTech 401 Ti as a SS at the minute, with Shimano R500 wheels, Sora brakes and a 105 HT2 chainset with a 39T ring.
It's got lugs, but it's not all steel. Top and down tubes are titanium.

EYE-TYE-MAD

Have any of you taken an old lugged steel framed bike and gave it a full modern drive like the latest 105, Ultegra, or DuraAce?
I built these two up a few years ago, 1966 Carlton Corsa Strada & a 1981 Dave Marsh Competition. Mostly bits left over from other projects. I stuck carbon legs on both, the handling was pretty decent, especially the Marsh. To be honest I fancy getting hold of a Hetchins & doing something similar only with better components, perhaps Campag Record.
DSCN1132.JPG
DSCN1131.JPG
DSCN0456-S.jpg
DSCN0455-S.jpg

asterix

Comrade Member
My British Eagle Touristique (1987, 531st) now has a 105 rear hub and derailleur plus a brand new stronglight double chainset. The shifters are bar end jobs but putting STIs on would be simple enough if wanted to. Instead it has a superb schmidt dynamo and IQ cyo front light. Probably spent far too much on it but I don't care.

OP
OP
J

jonsidneyb

I want two or three old new's plus a new new.

For the new new bike I want a Big Dummy as the heavy hauler.

I have an old Trek 520 that I want to be my long distance bike. I just want it brought up to date component wise.

Don't laugh or make fun of this. I want a bike for errand running. Because of the nature of what it will be used for I want it built for a kick stand, no add-on one.
You guys also might not like the bike I think I want to buld this one. I want to do this on something like an old 10 or 12 speed Takara. I think the brake cables under the top tube look better, it has a kickstand plate in place already. I would like the components to be more modern and better quality but I don't need a ton of gears on this. It will rarely do more than 40 miles in a day. I did to a 250 mile round trip on a Takara that was too big for me but I think I would like to reserve those trips for the 520.

I then want a bike that is just nice to ride that is eye catching.

OP
OP
J

jonsidneyb

I built these two up a few years ago, 1966 Carlton Corsa Strada & a 1981 Dave Marsh Competition. Mostly bits left over from other projects. I stuck carbon legs on both, the handling was pretty decent, especially the Marsh. To be honest I fancy getting hold of a Hetchins & doing something similar only with better components, perhaps Campag Record.
View attachment 7021 View attachment 7020 View attachment 7019 View attachment 7018

I like that Carlton Frame. That would look fantastic in hunter green with some red accents with a brown leather Brooks saddle and leather handle warps. I want one. :smile:

Top Bottom