Old and shot - and desperate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

old donald

Testing my 10 year old Orbit Romany yesterday for the tour a week on Tuesday around the Netherlands - the bottom bracket went - badly - threads corroded on the frame!!

Lbs are getting one of these bottom brakets that clamps to either side of the frame and hopefully it will be fixed -

1. Has anyoine got one of these - can't say it feels great just before a 500 mile jaunt round Netherlands - do they work ?

2. Am I being unreasaonble to expect a 10 year old bike - c 3000 miles a year to continue to last ?

Help?

I dont know what you mean about a BB that clamps to either side of the frame?. If you BB has gone it needs to come out and a new one put it and if the threads are corroded there are tools that cleans them.(1) As for your steed making it round a 500mil trip Yes it will if you have a new BB put in. (2) nope its not if you are looking after it.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I used one (YST) for a while on a commuting bike with stripped BB threads. It did just fine, but tended to work itself loose. They need to be done up really tight.

Danny

Legendary Member
old donald said:
Testing my 10 year old Orbit Romany yesterday for the tour a week on Tuesday around the Netherlands - the bottom bracket went - badly - threads corroded on the frame!!

Lbs are getting one of these bottom brakets that clamps to either side of the frame and hopefully it will be fixed -

1. Has anyoine got one of these - can't say it feels great just before a 500 mile jaunt round Netherlands - do they work ?

2. Am I being unreasaonble to expect a 10 year old bike - c 3000 miles a year to continue to last ?

Help?

1. I have an old Orbit Gold Medal, and the same thing happened to my BB threads. My LBS put in a similar BB and it worked fine.

2. No your not being unreasonable, particularly if it is made of steel. If kept properly maintained and resprayed occasionally there is no reason why the frame should not last a lot longer than 10 years. There are plenty of 20 and even 30 year old bikes around.

I've used a 'threadless' bb on a bike that the threads were stripped on, seems ok. I've got a feeling getting it out will be fun though as it was bloody tight going in.

OP
OP
O

old donald

Hurrah it worked 5 trouble free days and 450 miles around Holland - the last two were Hot !! I had forgotten what the sun was like.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
old donald said:
Hurrah it worked 5 trouble free days and 450 miles around Holland - the last two were Hot !! I had forgotten what the sun was like.
Excellent!
It's good to keep an old bike rolling, especially if she's an "old friend".
Yep, the sun's been great...here comes Summer!

Top Bottom