Old bike needs repairs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yeah, worth keeping. I like to spray all my cables with spray silicone, putting a straw in the nozzle you can also spray direct down the outers.. It's also good at keeping all the levers and shifters moving nice and freely, I've been using it for years but seems it's now sold directly for cycling so I guess somewhere in the last few years it's become norm?

I have a dawes discovery 601 that was my commuter - it's been out of order since the rear wheel (a shimano r500) disintegrated(through being old and worn, not through fault of the wheel) .. Lovely bike for what it is, annoying me that I'm probably just gonna buy another secondhand bike as it's gonna be cheaper than getting a new wheel....

Out of interest Andy, what's the frame made of? Steel? I almost bought a 501 from about five years after that. Decent bike as I recall.

Unless they have been really really trashed/left out in the rain for extended periods, most good bikes can be revived.

OP
OP
A

andyR00

As I said before I am no expert. By tapping it with my fingernail I'm guessing aluminium as it sounds hollow with a bit of a 'tingy' sound when tapped. Though I could be wrong.

I got this from a bike shop a few years ago. Haven't used it that much but this run of weather has got me out and about.

Hoping to take up triathlons next year.

Top Bottom