Old bike needs repairs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyR00

Hello.

I have a Dawes 401 discovery, year 1992, as far as I can see. It's old but essentially still a solid very usable bike apart from some brake problems.

The front brake cable had lost a metal jacket section that clips onto the brake bracket(which is attached to the front fork).

The metal bracket is also broken.

I have little idea about bikes btw but I am assuming brake tech has moved on from 1992. In other words will I be able to purchase such parts.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Got a photo?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
No probs at all. You will be able to get all the stuff you might need. We have many members well used to reviving old cycles.

Any chance of a few pics so we can assess what might need doing?

OP
OP
A

andyR00

Here's a picture. The kind of rusty looking metal bracket on the left is broken at the end and the metallic section on the cable there should be a metal jacket with a notch at the end which slots into the bracket.

I have no idea how it managed to come off. Almost as if by magic. I mean it doesn't make sense that it broke off as it'd about 3 inches long. But the brakes have been like this for months.

IMG_20180710_190547.jpg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Sometimes the 'saddle' piece that the 'noodle' (yes really, that's the curved bit) sits in can become enlarged so just nip it up with some pliers.
I would replace the both brake cables and the gear cable to give better operation. Grease them as well.

OP
OP
A

andyR00

Pliers may well work. I can just nip it as you said. Well such an easy fix. Looks like I will have front brakes again.

Thanks for the help.

Another quick question.

When adjusting the brake cable tension, can you work from the back end. In other words, loosen the back bolt where the end cable comes through, pull the cable through a bit and tighten the bolt.

Back section:-

IMG_20180710_194226.jpg

Or should all tightening be done at the front brake barrel section. I did try that but there was no difference.

Front barrel section:-

IMG_20180710_194441.jpg

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
The part I think you're referring to is the bracket that the noodle engages into. This should have a hole in it so so you don't have to undo the cable every time.

Here's a picture of a pristine one off the bike. It appears to be riveted in. Have you lost Spring tension in the brake arms?

image.jpeg

if you have run out of adjustment at the barrel adjuster(at the front end) then yes you will need to turn the barrel adjuster to almost all the way in,this ensures you can still adjust the brake after the next step, undo the nut securing the cable, pull more cable through and secure the nut again , adjust at the barrel adjuster if needs be

OP
OP
A

andyR00

The part I think you're referring to is the bracket that the noodle engages into. This should have a hole in it so so you don't have to undo the cable every time.

Here's a picture of a pristine one off the bike. It appears to be riveted in. Have you lost Spring tension in the brake arms?

View attachment 418787

It does have a hole in it yes but it also has curved edges at the top corners of the hole to prevent the cable from slipping out. However both these edges are essentially broken off (you can't see it in the pic). Meaning that the cable just slips back out when slotted in. However I can as suggested just nip the hole with pliers and secure the cable in. It should be a decent fix.

BTW, your picture didn't display.

OP
OP
A

andyR00

Pic should be there now. If yours is FUBAR, you can have that one.

That's it but as I said the two curved edges are broken off. Mines' is 26 years old. Well maybe the bike shop have put newer parts on it by then or whoever was the previous owner.

Anyway, it's still a nice bike. Worth keeping.

Top Bottom