Old bikes at new prices

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Skipdiver, for some myself included it is not just about how much a person can save.

OP
OP
G3CWI

G3CWI

Veteran
The bike is discounted over the new price but, in my opinion, not enough for a bike that's been in the shop for nearly seven year. In my negotiations I suggested a discount (unspecified) and fitting a dropper post. The offer of £50 off the marked price (only) was a bit insulting I felt. In the end I have bought something else. Okay, it's 900 g heavier but it's £850 cheaper!

Slick

Guru
The bike is discounted over the new price but, in my opinion, not enough for a bike that's been in the shop for nearly seven year. In my negotiations I suggested a discount (unspecified) and fitting a dropper post. The offer of £50 off the marked price (only) was a bit insulting I felt. In the end I have bought something else. Okay, it's 900 g heavier but it's £850 cheaper!
As would most, enjoy the new bike.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Skipdiver, for some myself included it is not just about how much a person can save.

It is for mere mortals who don't have bottomless pockets. If you buy everything new, especially using borrowed money, you don't get very much bang for your buck in terms of how many items or what quality of items, a certain level of income will afford you. On the other hand, if you hunt down the secondhand bargains, you can own several used items for the cost of one new one, and/or enjoy owning high quality products at no more cost than cheap inferior ones.
What you need is a different mindset, where you reject the concept of running like a hamster on it's wheel, just to earn money to spend on products that are deliberately designed to quickly go out of fashion. I don't buy into the consumerist treadmill of constantly "upgrading" or replacing things based purely on age or level of technology employed. All the times the objects I own keep doing the job I bought them to do, I see no reason to replace them. There is very little new under the sun in most cases, and most so-called "improvements" in products are 90% marketing hype and maybe, if you are very lucky, 10% of tangible progress.

screenman

Legendary Member
There you have it "certain level of income" What level of saving in the bank would you say somebody should have before they start buying new things, so that you can have the old one's.

different folks/different strokes, what is right or wrong for one person may be the opposite for another , neither is right or wrong, just different.... what is wrong is someone telling another that buying new / old is wrong just because they themselves don't do it

D

Deleted member 26715

I used to buy graphics cards in for the company I was working for, the latest model would come in, then get superseded by the next sometimes before our shipment even landed. In the end we started making smaller orders but flying them in rather than by boat, but even with that we would still sometimes have to sell them at a big percentage loss, otherwise the longer we kept them the more money we would lose. This was around 20 years ago when the top end card would be £350ish, but 2 months later worth only £100.

Drago

Legendary Member
Give it long enough and someone from Retrobikes will spot it and buy it for good money.

Then they'll ride it for 5 years, give it a wipe, and sell is a NOS...

Top Bottom