Old bikes at new prices

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G3CWI

Veteran
I was in the market for an MTB and noticed that a local shop had a 2012 model still in stock. Went in and had a look. Nice bike at £1900 but nevertheless an old model. Wondered if I could get further discount given its age and was offered £50. Needless to say I walked away.

screenman

Legendary Member
I was in the market for an MTB and noticed that a local shop had a 2012 model still in stock. Went in and had a look. Nice bike at £1900 but nevertheless an old model. Wondered if I could get further discount given its age and was offered £50. Needless to say I walked away.

Maybe they paid a bit more than that for it.

Slick

Guru
Doesn't really matter what they paid for it, it's only ever worth what someone is willing to pay for it and a 6 year old bike is never going to go up in value any time soon.

I would have walked away too.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Doesn't really matter what they paid for it, it's only ever worth what someone is willing to pay for it and a 6 year old bike is never going to go up in value any time soon.

I would have walked away too.
And at that price point you don't get a walk-in muppet who might buy it without knowing it's old stock (and tech, given how quickly things have moved on), so it will continue to languish & depreciate.

Salar

A fish out of water
I usually by used as I'm a bit retro.

However if I was after last couple of seasons models I would definitely check out Pauls Cycles.

A few years ago I bought a Kona from them, which was a two year old model. Saved £350 off current list price.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
If you want a 2012 bike buy a used 2012 bike at depreciated secondhand prices. No-one in their right mind would pay full retail for a last years model of car, you'd be expecting a chunky discount. Same goes for any other product which is deliberately regularly updated by the manufacturer in order to devalue the previous model. Cars, bikes, smartphones etc, are all victims of planned obsolescence marketing strategies and should be valued accordingly even if still brand new in the box.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
If you want a 2012 bike buy a used 2012 bike at depreciated secondhand prices. No-one in their right mind would pay full retail for a last years model of car, you'd be expecting a chunky discount. Same goes for any other product which is deliberately regularly updated by the manufacturer in order to devalue the previous model. Cars, bikes, smartphones etc, are all victims of planned obsolescence marketing strategies and should be valued accordingly even if still brand new in the box.
Isn't it more to encourage sales of "new and better", but it amounts to the same effect.

screenman

Legendary Member

There are millions of articles worth more now than when new. I have owned thousands of cars that would have been so if I had cared for them.

A friend of mine who has his own bike shop, (granted it's a small one man operation), doesn't bother stocking any new bikes anymore, (he can order them in though), mainly because there's not enough margin in them for a small high street store v's online retailers. He doesn't have the space to pile them high and discount them as much as online, and he couldn't afford the hit if he then had to heavily discount unsold models the following year just to shift them.
He makes his money, (it's hard work though), doing repairs and fixing BSO's supplied by other places.

I used to fancy my own bike shop once upon a time, (and I wouldn't rule it out now but I'd need those 6 numbers to come up first), but seeing what my mates gone through in the last 10 years or so has put me right off the idea as a means of making a decent income TBH :sad:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
There are millions of articles worth more now than when new. I have owned thousands of cars that would have been so if I had cared for them.

Very few objects appreciate in value unless only a tiny percentage of them still survive, they were a low-volume niche product to begin with, or they are the subject of speculative activity by wealthy individuals looking for a better return than on cash.
The vast majority of all the products produced in any industrialised country depreciate heavily in their first few years of existence, and then gradually flatline afterwards.
Take old good quality steel bikes as an example. I just bought a slightly shabby 30-ish year old drop-bar Dawes with a 531 frame for £40. Adjusted for inflation, that would have been a £700 bike new in today's money, so I'm paying 6p in the pound sold-as-seen. It will probably end up costing close to £100 by the time I've finished tidying it up and am happy with it, which is 14p in the pound. It will have still lost over 85% of it's original value despite being every bit as useable as when new. Even a mint one isn't going to fetch much more than £200 on the used market. If you'd bought a load of British steel bikes 30 years ago purely as an investment, you'd have lost a lot of money, especially due to the opportunity cost of not being able to invest that money elsewhere.

Drago

Legendary Member
What was the 2012 price? If it were £3500, then £1900 isn't a bad whack. If it was £1900, then they've little hope of shifting it.

As a very rough guide, new bikes from the previous model year sell for about 40% less than the same model from the current year. I guess that figure decreases further slightly over time...until it's 40 years old and the value skyrockets due to the "vintage tax".

ozboz

Guru
I saved a packet on my carbon as it had been in the shop for 18 mths +, im not very business savvy, but im sure stock items devalue as time goes by ,

Top Bottom