Old Carlton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ian allinson

I have just saved an old Carlton from the skip as my mate was going to through it away so I gave him £15 for it ;)

The frame number on the left back axle mount is G9667 this indicates it is a 1959 pre Raleigh model! but the also changed the number format later so it could be a 1971/72 model.

I would be very grateful of any information to date the bike as this will determine how much cash is spent on the bike.
Cheers lads
Ian

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
we need @Spokesmann and a pic or 2

OP
OP
I

ian allinson

It is a box of parts and the frame is brush painted orange, yuk.
I have restored the weinmann brakes and polished the Mallard hubs and they are very shiny!!! I like shiny ;)

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Pictures would help a great deal in this thread. Only some models around 68-72 had letter prefixes, the rest resorted to numbers and hence is difficult to date a frame. A G prefix does date a frame to 1959, but images of the lugs would help a lot, by 1959 Carlton had rationalised their lugs down to just 2 or 3...

Spokesmann

First glances it looks later than 1959, I could be wrong. Has standard Carlton lugs too. These were used on the Flyer although on my Flyer they are a little more elaborate with cut outs... The seat tube stays wrap over is very much like mine. Its the forks that bother me, they look later.... any chance of a pic of the frame number?

Spokesmann

Here are some shots of a 1964 framed Flyer...
P7200285.jpg

The lack of a hanger for the rear mech on your has me wondering too, do the drop outs at the rear have any names stamped on them, eg Campagnolo or Cyclo?
P7250656.jpg

Here is the fork crown from a Continental c1972, this type of crown was very common on late 60s and 1970s Carltons.
P7200603.jpg

Here are the seat tube wrap over stays detail on the same Flyer, they are very simialr to yours...
MIKESPICS008.jpg

Bottom line is its a little difficult to identify the year yet alone the model. Ill trawl though some other images when I get a chance.

OP
OP
I

ian allinson

It says Cyclo G9667 on the left rear axle mount, I will take some pics tonight,

Sterba

Über Member
Ah for the days before sealed cartridge bottom brackets. I was reminded by the small threaded hole in the top of the BB shell in the picture above. I am sure one of our older members can tell us whether it would have had a grease nipple or an oil filler cap. Either way, it was a bit of a hit and miss way of keeping the axle bearing lubricated, but, I suppose in those days of awkward cotter pins it might have been preferrable to dismantling the axle every time it needed a bit more grease (or oil!).

Spokesmann

These details certainly make the frame of the age it is, the Cyclo drop outs are the same as my Constellation from 1958, it maybe that the frame was stock left over before Raleigh took over, this helps narrow down the model list a bit I would have thought. The oiling/grease point on the Bb shell is pure retro. Would it be possible to see the drop outs on the forks too?

Top Bottom