Old Carlton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

young Ed

Veteran
very, very nice! :biggrin:
what would be the red bike in the back ground?
is that a crank i see lying in the background in the first pic? are you sure your workshop is allowed to be so clean and tidy? if so you really need more tools and projects! :tongue:
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
I

ian allinson

Some pics for you Ed to prove my garage gets worked in, I just like tidy as well as clean. ;)
007-20.jpg
033-1.jpg
022-1.png
The above pic will be the finished bike, my vision.
010-3.jpg
012-5.jpg
011-4.jpg
005-8.jpg
I have OCD and drive myself crazy but won't bore you with anymore pics.

OP
OP
I

ian allinson

Thanks Mike,
Next week I would like some handle bar wrap and bar end inserts, matching rear brake cable with some nice cable clips and Weinmann rear brake blocks.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Cloth bar tape ?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
My 68ish Clubman had cloth tape on it when I had it from my cousin Graham but he may well have fitted that. I doubt very much they would have fitted plastic/vinyl but it may have been leather as from the grease nipple on the bottom bracket I think yours is earlier than mine. I've had mine for 40 years so it has had quite a lot of replacement parts including a newer Brooks (the old one snapped after a "stack" but the original was either a B5n or a B17n with lace holes ( B5n dimpled leather B17n smooth) but if you know someone at a bike shop who is conversant with Carltons then he should know.
Here in Leicester I'm lucky in that John at Bob Warner Cycles is another afficianado of old cycles and carries on working in his shop although he could have retired a few years ago.

OP
OP
I

ian allinson

Dave who is helping me with the restoration worked for Carlton from 1965 until they closed down, he said my bike is from 1957/1961, I am building the bike how I want it to be as I do not own an Anorak, no disrespect mean't to anyone. :smile:
He has told me not to sell it as it is a very nice example.

Last edited:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.

Claude Butler head there??

Anyway, when I heard you say 'British Racing Green' I thought 'Oh how unimaginative' (that old chestnut and all that :blush::laugh:), but actually, the final product looks really nice and the white helps considerably, I'm impressed!! :thumbsup:

That said, I'd want to know what model it was so would absolutely HAVE to contact the VCC or similar. The not even knowing it's 'name' would just drive me daft (maybe its me who's being unimaginative here, but I'd want to know what it looked like originally at the very least!!)!! :blush::crazy:
Oh, and I haven't had an anorak since I was a kid!! :whistle:

As long as you like it though, that's the main thing, and it looks fantastic, great job!! :hyper:

Last edited:
Top Bottom