Old Carlton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
bottom bracket stampings look like postcode details ?

OP
OP
I

ian allinson

Just dropped the old Carlton off at the painters today, I am having it painted in British racing green with a gold pinstripe around the lugs, then a tan leather seat and matching handle bar wrap.
It is also going to be a single speed too as I want to keep the bike looking very simple abit like me ;)

young Ed

Veteran
Just dropped the old Carlton off at the painters today, I am having it painted in British racing green with a gold pinstripe around the lugs, then a tan leather seat and matching handle bar wrap.
It is also going to be a single speed too as I want to keep the bike looking very simple abit like me ;)
fixie! :biggrin:
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
I

ian allinson

Just ordered the Carlton decals today, the painter has just vapor blasted the frame, I have drawn a picture of the bike frame and how I want the paint to look :smile: I can't wait to get it back so I can start bolting on nice shiny bits lol

OP
OP
I

ian allinson

Went to see the painter today and the frame is coming along nicely, he has sprayed it in an old English white, and is ready for masking off the head stock and 2 bands around the frame tubes about 23cm long then spray the frame British racing green ;) I am going in again then to fit the decals and borders around the frame where the green & white meet then lacquer.
I will be doing the gold pinstripe around the lugs by hand as I have the paint and bought the correct pinstripe brush for the job.

OP
OP
I

ian allinson

Hope to have my Carlton frame back from the painters this week, I'm unsure whether to fit steel chrome wheels or go with a more modern alloy wheels!!!

young Ed

Veteran
Hope to have my Carlton frame back from the painters this week, I'm unsure whether to fit steel chrome wheels or go with a more modern alloy wheels!!!
as for wheels are you looking to 'restore' the bike ie: make it look real good and original or ar you just looking for a nice functional bike?
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
I

ian allinson

I get where your coming from Ed, alloys it is then as the bike will be used, but will try and find some that look similar in style to the steel rims.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I get where your coming from Ed, alloys it is then as the bike will be used, but will try and find some that look similar in style to the steel rims.
Mavic open sport can look quite retro (similar to period weinmann in profile/looks) but only if you take off the stickers. Modern aero profile rims just look wrong on that age bike. Just take/send those nice shiny Maillard hubs to a good wheel builder and if you're gonna fixie it he may be able to re-jig the spacers to centralise the hub prior to lacing it up,

OP
OP
I

ian allinson

I have got my Carlton back from the painters,

This morning I took the cycle to an ex Carlton employee who now owns his own cycle shop, he confirmed my bike is a late 1950s Carlton and a very nice one,

So I have decided to let him complete my bike with quality used and NOS parts from that period, he will also do the gold pin stripping around the lugs.

Here are afew pics I hope you like.

005-23.jpg
003-15.jpg
002-5.jpg
009-13.jpg
008-12.jpg
017-4.jpg
018-3.jpg

Top Bottom