old laptops

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
Hi, my sister is giving me an old laptop, I was wondering a couple of things;
can I remove the hard drive and use it for extra storage through a usb port on my own computer and if I do that would the old laptop still work for playing dvd's on ?

Thanks for any responses in advance.

DJ

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
djtheglove said:
Hi, my sister is giving me an old laptop, I was wondering a couple of things;
can I remove the hard drive and use it for extra storage through a usb port on my own computer and if I do that would the old laptop still work for playing dvd's on ?

Thanks for any responses in advance.

DJ

you can do the thing with the drive no problem. you will need to boot the laptop from something that has the dvd player software, which is usually the hard drive…

OP
OP
D

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
alecstilleyedye said:
you can do the thing with the drive no problem. you will need to boot the laptop from something that has the dvd player software, which is usually the hard drive…

Ah so the computer won't work for playing dvd's on afterwards! Ok.

So if I remove the hard drive for storage purposes will I have to wipe all the programs off it first.

Mr Pig

You'll get a little case for the hard drive that runs off the USB socket, very elegant. Just watch though as laptop drives are not as robust as full size drives, don't chuck it about.

Downward

Guru
Mr Pig said:
You'll get a little case for the hard drive that runs off the USB socket, very elegant. Just watch though as laptop drives are not as robust as full size drives, don't chuck it about.

E bay are good for these - I picked up a 2.5" External HDD Caddy for my Laptop HDD when upgrading.

tesco (believe it or not) have some external hard drives, i've got a freecome 160GB one thats lasted nicely for about 5 years.

Top Bottom