Old PC > new PC - any tips?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Transferring from an old Win7 PC to a less old Win7 PC - Googling suggests all I need to do is search 'easy transfer' and click ok a couple of times then go make a cup of tea and when I get back it'll all be done, but I've done this kind of thing before and it's always been a bit of a mare. Any handy hints & tips, or is it really that simple & straightforward now?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I remember reading recently that staying on Windows 7 might be a problem, can't remember why but here's a video of how to upgrade to Windows 10 for free:

View: https://youtu.be/QdNL-pvvXH4

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Thirty quid on an external hard drive to store / transfer / backup :smile:
this is what i did when i had a new laptop

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thanks all. Transferring what? Well I suppose the simple answer is, whatever necessary so that my wife can just sit down and carry on, with everything she's used to working just the way she's used to. I don't think I'll go to Win10 just yet - the end of support doesn't worry me. I think I'll probably end up using that MS easy transfer and then use sticks to copy over anything that gets left behind. I'll doubtless be back when it all goes pear-shaped... :blush:

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Just in case it's of any help to anyone, it all went amazingly tickety-boo. Used the Microsoft easy transfer tool, with a HD connected via USB. It even put my wife's desktop icons on the new desktop in the same positions. She was working on the new PC for an hour before I mentioned the switch. "I noticed everything seemed a lot faster," she said. The only slight glitch was getting her old A3 printer installed - the new PC had no LPT socket - but a £3 USB>LPT cable from ebay did the trick. Whole thing probably took barely more than an hour.

Top Bottom