Old Peugeot Premiere (Possible Project)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
I moved on to the rear wheel today. Same treatment as the front,

I’m really pleased with the results, both now ready to bolt on.

Gunk

Guru
Next I moved on to the bars

I stripped cleaned and copper slipped all the threads, the bars will will be satisfactory once taped, I cleaned the hoods and levers.

The stem I took apart and cleaned with wire wool and Autosol.

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
Nice work, looking really good! I really like 1980s pugs, if I had room in the garage I'd jump at one for a SS conversion.

It’s a real shame it’s not my size as I would have carried out a few more modifications like proper Brifters, some newer brakes, a better crankset and kept it. 30 years ago I owned a Peugeot Tourmalet which I gave to my brother and he ended up having it stolen, but I have very fond memories of that bike.

I’ve ground to bit of a halt now as I’m waiting for a load parts to arrive.

ChrisEyles

Guru
I'm lucky to have loads of decent xc trail riding near where I live and work, with plenty of rough stuff and chances to get airborne, hence the likelihood of crash pringle death on a CX bike. If the bridleways around me were tamer I'd probably have one already 😃

Gunk

Guru
I had some time this afternoon and was adamant that the stuck crankset was not going to beat me.

After some thought I had a rummage around my tool box, found this (a tap wrench) and decided it should be able to shift it, so I clamped it in the vice.

Slid it between the chain wheel and bottom bracket.

Used part of an old BB removal tool.

Gave the spindle a couple of clouts with a large hammer and off it popped! :smile:

The adjustable cup was seized solid, but I put some penetrating oil in and left it for a bit, the trusty tap wrench came to rescue again, and off it came.

Luckily I had a spare BB so I cleaned the threads, copper slipped them, greased the cups and put it all back together

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I had some time this afternoon and was adamant that the stuck crankset was not going to beat me.

After some thought I had a rummage around my tool box, found this (a tap wrench) and decided it should be able to shift it, so I clamped it in the vice.

View attachment 518589

Slid it between the chain wheel and bottom bracket.

View attachment 518590

Used part of an old BB removal tool.

View attachment 518594

Gave the spindle a couple of clouts with a large hammer and off it popped! :smile:

The adjustable cup was seized solid, but I put some penetrating oil in and left it for a bit, the trusty tap wrench came to rescue again, and off it came.

View attachment 518591

Luckily I had a spare BB so I cleaned the threads, copper slipped them, greased the cups and put it all back together

View attachment 518592

View attachment 518593
Just goes to show how good those old BBs were, not a mark or bit of corrosion on the inside, hope you used plenty of grease when you reassembled but I suspect you did. :becool:

Top Bottom