Old Raleigh rigid MTB model identification.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I'm trying to get an idea about one that's been described to me, that was destined for dumping down the council tip. Not yet seen in the flesh, so no pics.

Rigid lugged and brazed frame in "ball-buster" large sizing with high horizontal top tube. Regular unicrown MTB forks. Heron headbadge.
All-over black paint scheme with Raleigh on downtube, and chainstay, no model decals on top tube.
Bar mounted trigger shifters, NOT twist grip shifters.
Centre pull brakes with alloy levers, fork/stay mounted bosses and a QR hub front wheel.

Given the brazed frame construction and the QR, I'm wondering if this is an early "high end" Nottingham effort with a Reynolds frame?. They were building budget MTB frames using lugless welded construction by the late 1980's, so my logic is that if the frame was still brazed (and therefore more labour-intensive to build), then it must likely be made out of something that wouldn't take kindly to high temperature welding; i.e Reynolds.
I can't see anything in any old Raleigh catalogue available online that features an all-black, lugged, horizontal crossbar MTB frame in presumably a 23" size. Could this be something really early from back in the mid-1980's - rather than the late 80's and early 90's era for which surviving catalogues exist?.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@SkipdiverJohn talking of old Raleigh Mtb's i got this from local auctions Your bike in front of a gate pics

This was also in the auction , doesn't quite match your description

https://www.easyliveauction.com/cat...n-of-household-garden-jewellery-antiq-lot-21/

OP
OP
S

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
talking of old Raleigh Mtb's i got this from local auctions Your bike in front of a gate pics

That was a pretty decent quality machine back in the day, but it looks a bit small-framed for me. I prefer trad horizontal tube frames rather than slopers personally. A lot of modern MTB's look like they've been sized like a kids toy not a grown-ups bike!

This was also in the auction , doesn't quite match your description
https://www.easyliveauction.com/cat...n-of-household-garden-jewellery-antiq-lot-21/

That one looks much more recent than the one I've been told of.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'm trying to get an idea about one that's been described to me, that was destined for dumping down the council tip. Not yet seen in the flesh, so no pics.

Rigid lugged and brazed frame in "ball-buster" large sizing with high horizontal top tube. Regular unicrown MTB forks. Heron headbadge.
All-over black paint scheme with Raleigh on downtube, and chainstay, no model decals on top tube.
Bar mounted trigger shifters, NOT twist grip shifters.
Centre pull brakes with alloy levers, fork/stay mounted bosses and a QR hub front wheel.

Given the brazed frame construction and the QR, I'm wondering if this is an early "high end" Nottingham effort with a Reynolds frame?. They were building budget MTB frames using lugless welded construction by the late 1980's, so my logic is that if the frame was still brazed (and therefore more labour-intensive to build), then it must likely be made out of something that wouldn't take kindly to high temperature welding; i.e Reynolds.
I can't see anything in any old Raleigh catalogue available online that features an all-black, lugged, horizontal crossbar MTB frame in presumably a 23" size. Could this be something really early from back in the mid-1980's - rather than the late 80's and early 90's era for which surviving catalogues exist?.
Hard to tell by just guessing, are you sure it's 'brazed' and not a 'bonded' Titanium like the one @biggs682 posted (and before you think Oooohh Titanium they have been known to come 'unglued' and fall apart)

OP
OP
S

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
A picture might help things along.

How do you attach images on here. Just insert a filename from a pic saved on laptop?

I've got the thing now, and I'm more convinced it's a high end (as Raleighs go, anyway) model, just don't know which one. It appears to have had a rudimentary but thorough repaint so there are no manufacturers tube stickers visible. Big black 23" frame and it's definitely lugged & brazed construction with "RALEIGH" engraved on the rear seatstay cutaways where they meet the seat tube. Frame has a definite "ring" to it when tapped sharply with a finger nail, sounds just like the 501 frame on my Pioneer hybrid. The handlebars are black & flat with slight curvature, exactly like on my '89 Mustang MTB. However these bars have a Reynolds 501 sticker on them, the Mustang ones don't. Hubs are Suntour alloy front & rear, with QR on the front. Wheels are 26" alloy with black anodised rims. Transmission is 3 on the front 7 on the rear with Suntour XCE rear mech. Pedals are decent looking alloy MTB ones, not the usual black plastic cheapies. Can't yet see any frame number through the paint.
All in all I'm pretty pleased and glad I grabbed it before it went down the tip! I would really like to get to the bottom of exactly what it is, but it's going to get repainted regardless because it's looking rather shabby. Not black again though - I've got some RAL3003 Ruby Red enamel that should suit an old-school rigid frame bike. Not too flash.

Edited to correct component spec.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
How do you attach images on here. Just insert a filename from a pic saved on laptop?

I've got the thing now, and I'm more convinced it's a high end (as Raleighs go, anyway) model, just don't know which one. It appears to have had a rudimentary but thorough repaint so there are no manufacturers tube stickers visible. Big black 23" frame and it's definitely lugged & brazed construction with "RALEIGH" engraved on the rear seatstay cutaways where they meet the seat tube. Frame has a definite "ring" to it when tapped sharply with a finger nail, sounds just like the 501 frame on my Pioneer hybrid. The handlebars are black & flat with slight curvature, exactly like on my '89 Mustang MTB. However these bars have a Reynolds 501 sticker on them, the Mustang ones don't. Hubs are Suntour alloy front & rear, with QR on the front. Wheels are 26" alloy with black anodised rims. Transmission is 3 on the front 7 on the rear with Shimano XT rear mech. Pedals are decent looking alloy MTB ones, not the usual black plastic cheapies. Can't yet see any frame number through the paint.
All in all I'm pretty pleased and glad I grabbed it before it went down the tip! I would really like to get to the bottom of exactly what it is, but it's going to get repainted regardless because it's looking rather shabby. Not black again though - I've got some RAL3003 Ruby Red enamel that should suit an old-school rigid frame bike. Not too flash.
When you are writing a post you'll see a button that says 'upload a file' click that then select pictures in the pop up box that appears, select the picture then 'double click' that. the site then does the rest giving you a choice between 'thumbnail' or full image which will be visible before you post your reply.

OP
OP
S

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Thanks Raleighnut, this picture is a bit rough but it gives you an idea.

RALEIGH UNKNOWN MTB (4).jpg

As far as I can tell, it's most likely to be a Moonrun model dating from 1991, but the catalogue showed the biggest frame as 21", whereas this is a 23", and a "big" one at that. It will require careful dismounts! The component set fitted most closely matches this model, and if I'm right it has both a Reynolds 501 frame and bars. The Suntour XCE gear mech and X-press shift levers are exactly as per catalogue, as are the black anodised rims. Front ring is Sakae XCE, which I'm not sure about. Looks like it was a pretty high-spec machine and probably a fair bit of cash when new. Way too nice to end up on the rubbish tip!.

OP
OP
S

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Maverick from the late 80's.

Chain needs shortning.

Interesting, you reckon that's definitely a Maverick? All the pictures I've found of supposedly period 1980's ones have had conventional roadster-style forks, not MTB Unicrowns, plus the colours were wildly variable.
Where would I expect to find the frame number on my one? If I can find one it may have a year code.

It needs a proper going over and loads of little jobs doing, the chain will need a full soaking in diesel at the minimum as it is stiff and has probably been left outside. Steel seat post is also seized in the frame tube and isn't going anywhere yet. Already given it a good spray with penetrating oil yesterday. First job is strip it of everything I can get off so I can rub down and repaint the frame. It's worse up close than it looks - with loads of scabby patches and little rust spots, especially on the crossbar where it's been stood against things and scraped.
Do you agree with me about the frame being a Reynolds as well as the bars? I can't see Raleigh fitting 501 bars to a plain high-tensile frame, as the frame spec would be the main selling point.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Nice, if the rear stays have a stamped 'Raleigh' cap on the top of em I'd say it was better than 'HiTensile' as for serial numbers they should be on the BB shell but good luck with tracing them as Raleigh themselves never really kept that good a record of them (and changed their 'systems' a lot)

classic33

Leg End Member
I'd the Maverick from the 80's, handlebar clamp was heavier than the one on yours though.

The 90's saw the Mustang and a cheaper version of the Maverick on the market. Looked very little like the first one.

Top Bottom