Old school bike on kickr?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjd1988

Guru
I have a lovely old peugeot europa as my turbo bike on a basic non-smart magnetic trainer. This is not a picture of mine as mine is a little more...used, but you get the idea, 7 speed cassette, gears on down tube, gorgeous old thing.

Been looking to step up my training and get a direct drive trainer - can get my hands on a second hand kickr for 500 ish quid.

Obviously compatibility is a bit of an issue as kickr comes with 10 or 11 speed as standard. I understand that 7 speed could work with some adapting (not sure how much but I intend to google!), but i'm not sure if my hub would be the right side or if there are any other issues. As well as that would I just be wasteing my time and should I just get a second hand 10 speed and throw it on? Would love to keep the europa if I could.

Wondering if anyone had any experience of something similar and whether it is too big a job for a pretty clueless person!

Attachments

• Peugeot-Europa-7.jpg
    Peugeot-Europa-7.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 59

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I assume you would need to get a little bit physical with the spacing as I assume your OLN is 126mm. I run a 7 speed with 126 OLN on my Tacx Vortex and it goes on with some persuasion, but the wheel is not not centered on the roller.

10-speed cassette, 9-speed chain and 7-speed crankset should work fine, once you've respaced the dropouts. To quote Sheldon Brown: "In practice this "problem" almost never materializes. Many, many cyclists are using 9- and 10-speed chains with older cranksets and having no problems whatever."

It would mean your Europa has a re-spaced rear triangle (assuming the OLN is different between the Kickr's axle and its current wheelset) and therefore becomes somewhat of a fixture on the turbo... but having a nice steel-framed bike on the turbo would make the whole experience more enjoyable imo!

Incidentally, £500 for a second hand Kickr is a bargain too!

OP
OP
mjd1988

mjd1988

Guru
Thanks for the replies! Yeah for the price i can't really turn down the kickr so really keen to make it work, but also don't want to get rid of the europa, such a great little bike; I'll do a bit more reading into spacing etc!

Top Bottom