Old school Technics hifi kit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyfraser

Über Member
I have a £100 Sony BlueTooth speaker, a Nexus 6 phone and Spotify. Yes, I'm a philistine.

Back in the late 80s I got a JVC amp and speakers and a Technics CD player. The JVC gear was incredible for the price. Yes, I've always been a philistine.

midlife

Guru
I had a linear tracking turntable from Ireland in the 80's, smart piece of kit but the name escapes me....... Damn memory!!

Shaun

Venod

Eh up
We still listen on a TEAC H500 separates system, sounds good to me, but so do MP3's on the computer so I may not be the best judge.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Dennon and nakaminchi...nice..

i had techics etc..and a nice pioneer stack.
it was good at the time but its just too bloody big now..

car stereo ,pioneer and..huge speekers in the parcel shelf.. brothers in arms was awsome on them..love the sound of good music in a car..your singing is pitch perfect too, lol happy days

Rezillo

TwoSheds
I've still got one of these:

http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/technics/rs-bx727.shtml

used for archiving cassette by hooking it up to a decent soundcard. It was a very good three head deck.

With regard to faults on old gear, I had an expensive Yamaha receiver fail some years ago (would turn on then immediately off) and its repair quote to find the fault, let alone fix it, was too close to its secondhand value to be worthwhile. I hadn't got the heart to throw it out as it was a quality bit of kit, so it languished in a garden shed.

Last year I spotted a forum post about repairing a model in the same range that was fixed by replacing a small polyester film capacitor on the psu board and that these particular caps had been a problem in Yamaha gear of the time. I dragged mine out of the shed and checked it - the psu board wasn't identical to the one in the forum post but it was similar and did have one of these capacitors. I unsoldered it and found it was open circuit. Found another one in a drawer of old parts so soldered that in place. Turned the receiver on and it burst into life. With some old speakers attached, my workshop now has a hugely over-specced radio that makes all the shelves rattle.

Repair time - 30 minutes.If I had to do it again, 15 minutes. Cost, if I had had to buy the part, under 50p. I bet the repair agents who gave me the quote (£200+shipping costs) knew damn well what was wrong with it as it appears that the symptoms and fix were known at the time.

Venod

Eh up
Repair time - 30 minutes.If I had to do it again, 15 minutes. Cost, if I had had to buy the part, under 50p. I bet the repair agents who gave me the quote (£200+shipping costs) knew damn well what was wrong with it as it appears that the symptoms and fix were known at the time.

I have an old Sansui receiver/amp that went faulty, this was supplied with a full circuit diagram, I managed to trace the fault to a blown transistor, soldered a new one in and all is good, it took a great deal longer than 30 minutes but so satisfying especially with my limited grasp of electronics

Cheddar George

oober member
I still have my SU-V6 Technics amp, great piece of kit. I haven't used it for a while and as previous posters have said the caps don't last forever, i really ought to set it up again. I have a technics turntable (nothing special) and a Marantz CD player.

Top Bottom