Old Trek Mountain Bike revival.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I appear to be on a bit of a roll with old Treks at the moment. I found this at the same place I got the Trek road bike. It was in a bit of a state but I figured I could do a decent restoration. Cost was £12 this time as the guy said it had both wheels.

I’m going to find a rigid fork to replace the suspension one. The wheels are just about perfect, the chainset is shot but I have a replacement.
I’ll keep you updated with progress.

si_c

Guru
That's definitely a project bike :crazy:

Pioneer

Regular
Great project, can you let us know how much you spend or using replacement parts the total project cost.
I say this because if you didn’t have parts already on hand how much would it have cost with new parts.

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Good idea @Pioneer
All parts are “home used” in others words secondhand shipped from outside, apart from tubes, brake parts and grips which are new. Saddle I had but has really had it.

Suspension Fork.......40c
Brake pads...............12c
Chainset....................40c
Tyre...........................10c
Chain.........................20c
Cables........................20c
Spray paint................12c
Innertube...................15c
Cassette......................25c
Hand grips..................12c

Grand total: 206cedis (about £29.50).

Original cost of the bike was 80c (about £11.20).
And here she is all done:

The paint on the other side of the frame was crazed, this side looks better (See original photo).
I also sprayed the wheels to tidy it up and match the originals. The rear stays and top tube were also treated.
New parts wouldn’t have been an option as the Decathlon store here doesn’t stock stuff like chainsets.

Last edited:

Pioneer

Regular
Hi Cycleops, the reason I asked you for the costs was just to let other people know the importance of always having donor bikes for spare parts and the knowledge to carry out the repair work. It always amazes me the money people pay to the lbs for repairs and the bikes that are disguarded ( dumped ) because of lack of knowledge.
Well done to you , keep up the great work 👍

Top Bottom