Old Tyres, what to do with them?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IncoherentJeff

It's probably been discussed before, I'd a quick search & didn't spot anything.

I seem to be acquiring a collection of old dead/perished tyres from the a couple of projects I've picked up & tyres I've used.
What to do with them? I feel bad sticking them in the bin is there anywhere which collects tyres for recycling / reuse for something else?

I remember seeing a guy in Bristol selling some funky belts made out of old tyres & the LBS uploaded a photo of a hen house re-roofed with old tyres. Interesting ideas.

What do you do with your old tyres?

classic33

Leg End Member
I have to bin them as the local council won't allow them to be recycled.

classic33

Leg End Member
Not enough money in them for them to be bothered with. Instead there's any number of car tyres dumped all over the place.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Cut them into 3 to 4 inch sections, cut the bead off and put a few into your rear pockets. If you suffer tyre damage on a ride you can use them as an emergency bodge to repair a hole in you tyre.

D

Deleted member 1258

Cut them into 3 to 4 inch sections, cut the bead off and put a few into your rear pockets. If you suffer tyre damage on a ride you can use them as an emergency bodge to repair a hole in you tyre.

I do that, then take whats left down the tip.

goody

Veteran
I tried that but had to cut about an inch out of the 'inner tyre' and cut the bead off. Over time the edges where the cuts were rubbed holes in the tube. Decent tyres have been my best defence from p's durano plus on the commuter and ultremo's on the best. 1 puncture in about 10,000 miles on London and Surrey roads seems good going to me.

Davidc

Guru
Good protective strips over sharp things, edges, saws, and so on. Tyre boots (as above) for emergency repairs. I end up putting some in the rubbish though

Inner tubes are different. I find loads of uses for those. Only trouble is that I don't get enough dead ones of those now for the uses I've had in the past! (It's these puncture resistant tyre things that are to blame).

Top Bottom