Old versus New.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Pah, gone are the days of a 42 x 21 as your lowest gear. Even my 39 x 24 isn't low compared to what most road bikes have now - they match MTB's for gearing.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Been out on my 35 year old Claud Butler 531 today. It rolls significantly better than any of my new bikes. How or why I know not.
33 year old Trek, also 531, (anniversary)with a corn cob block in the rear, still outperforms most of the newer bikes. Straight gauge shop name(Corso) Italian tourer, perfectly able to do distance, very comfy over what short rides it's done, also shows a liveliness not seen much today. Old Raleigh USA Technium 26" tourer from the 80's, mix of aluminum and CR-Mo, glued together, as tubes were too thin to weld and employees not trained in welding or brazing, lightest and most comfortable bike of the sort I've ridden. Main triangle is aluminum, stays, headtube and fork are Cr-Mo. A bodge, but a good one. I don't think bicycles have come so far since the '80s.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
33 year old Trek, also 531, (anniversary)with a corn cob block in the rear, still outperforms most of the newer bikes. Straight gauge shop name(Corso) Italian tourer, perfectly able to do distance, very comfy over what short rides it's done, also shows a liveliness not seen much today. Old Raleigh USA Technium 26" tourer from the 80's, mix of aluminum and CR-Mo, glued together, as tubes were too thin to weld and employees not trained in welding or brazing, lightest and most comfortable bike of the sort I've ridden. Main triangle is aluminum, stays, headtube and fork are Cr-Mo. A bodge, but a good one. I don't think bicycles have come so far since the '80s.
In what way does it outperform modern bikes?

My definition of outperforming would be going faster using only the same power output.

Alan O

Über Member
All this talk of whether newer bikes are better than older bikes... it's all relative to the rider and the riding.

Efficiency tests tend to be done emulating competition conditions, at high kph and power output, and that means absolutely nothing to me. At the speeds I ride and the kinds of rides I do, a modern TdF-quality carbon bike would not get me round any quicker than my 531 steel bikes. And I'd be significantly less happy if I couldn't fit my nice fat 32mm tyres and carry a big supply of sausage or bacon butties in my bag... and all the other stuff I like to carry.

But in competition, when accomplished athletes are riding at their maximum ability, obviously modern bikes are better -- if they weren't, Froome and Wiggins and all their mates would be riding on steel.

One thing I am saddened by is the way the retail road bike market is almost totally focused on competition factors and almost exclusively sells aluminium and carbon bikes, when for most leisure and commuting cyclists I reckon steel is probably still the best all-round frame material - but now it's a specialized up-market touring bike material.

I ride in a mixed group of cyclists, and a good few of them have, say, a road bike (Al or C) and a mountain bike (Al with sus), but neither are good all-rounders - and it's not long ago that one friend commented "I love the way you can just go anywhere on that old bike of yours" (speaking of my Raleigh steel tourer).

For my riding, I wouldn't want a carbon bike any more than I'd want a steel pencil.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
In what way does it outperform modern bikes?

My definition of outperforming would be going faster using only the same power output.
It is faster, something to do with quality in a context little encountered these days.

Alan O

Über Member
Baering in mind a modern CF bike is at least 3kg lighter than a mid eighties 531 framed machine which bits are so well made that the old one is faster?
I've just weighed my mid eighties 531c bike (with Brooks Swallow saddle) and it weights 10.2kg - and it looks like you have to pay a lot to get a modern CF bike around 3kg less than that.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
But in competition, when accomplished athletes are riding at their maximum ability, obviously modern bikes are better -- if they weren't, Froome and Wiggins and all their mates would be riding on steel.

That's not entirely the case, although i expect in large part that's true. Most international level teams ride what their sponsors give them, and the manufacturers sell far more carbon than steel, and make a bigger mark-up than steel, so will want the riders to be seen on them - there will be commercial considerations as well. Even if a steel bike could run with the pack (and I've yet to see any evidence one couldn't do so with a comparable rider), that ain't what's putting the food on their table.

Top Bottom