Olde Worlde lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
or... is there an old established bike shop near you? You never know what old oddities they might have lying about in the back.

Or ask on the CTC forum?

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/

some old timer might have one in the shed still....

OP
OP
GrahamNR17

GrahamNR17

Good thinking :laugh:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Are you looking for something specifically to match the rear one, but a front light, or just a similar sort? I've had an idea...

OP
OP
GrahamNR17

GrahamNR17

Arch said:
Are you looking for something specifically to match the rear one, but a front light, or just a similar sort? I've had an idea...
Just something 'of the period' really, ie mid-70s. Tell me your idea ;)

Yep, we have a trade account with then and can order any of the lights on the site.

I've just bought a pair of black ones myself.:smile:

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I've got a thing in a Maglite torch which looks almost exactly like a prefocus bulb, but is in fact an LED, with all the driver widgets on board. I bought it a couple of years ago now. Apparently, it works in almost any big maglite, however many batteries it's got. Mine takes two D cells, so it's running on 3V, just as a "retro" bike light probably would.

I found a link to it, or something like it.

Alternatively, it's not too hard to do this.

Bokonon

Über Member
Uncle Phil said:
I've got a thing in a Maglite torch which looks almost exactly like a prefocus bulb, but is in fact an LED.....it's running on 3V, just as a "retro" bike light probably would.

Which is interesting as most white LEDs require in excess of 3V to work. I only found this out yesterday when I started looking for white LEDs after this thread got me thinking.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Well, I promise you it works, and works well. Possibly it has a little buck circuit inside, trading amps for volts to make it work, but I couldn't tell you.

But you have reminded me that the home-made LED "bulb" I made and linked to was intended to work from a 6 volt battery pack, not 3 volts.

Arch

Married to Night Train
GrahamNR17 said:
Just something 'of the period' really, ie mid-70s. Tell me your idea :biggrin:

Well, it looks like you have a solution. But if it comes to it, I could go and ask at Bikerescue in York, who rescue donated bikes, and might well have some of that era given in with lights....

Mind you, they'll be inaccessible for a day or two, until the river goes down. If Rog can't come up with the goods, let me know.

Top Bottom