Olde Worlde lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrahamNR17

Do any of you know of anyone making old fashioned cycle lamps, but with modern (LED?) internal gubbins? I ask as I've just put a set of LED lamps on the old Raleigh, and it looks really pants :sad:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Wow, that would be a fab idea - the LED buggins would take up very little room and you could have a secret storage compartment in the bit that would have held the huge batteries!

Don't know of anyone, sorry. But it could be brillant. I wonder if you could make something up yourself?

OP
OP
GrahamNR17

GrahamNR17

Been thinking that too. I tried to follow the thread on making your own LED lights, but my brain started going all misty at the talk of "LED drivers" and things. maybe I'll re-read that thread a few more times and see if I can come up with something :sad:

lucas317.jpg

I presume you don't want to go as far back as one of these?

OP
OP
GrahamNR17

GrahamNR17

Wow, that's fabulous! :sad:

Well, I might go back as far as one of those for the 30s replica sports bike, but for now something a bit 70s.

Arch

Married to Night Train
GrahamNR17 said:
Been thinking that too. I tried to follow the thread on making your own LED lights, but my brain started going all misty at the talk of "LED drivers" and things. maybe I'll re-read that thread a few more times and see if I can come up with something :sad:

Looking at the lights in that pic you posted, I'm sure you could make something up, even if you just found a way of slipping a cheapish LED light inside the old bulb housing (might have to cut the old housing out). The main thing I suppose is being able to operate the switch and get to the batteries when you need to.

OP
OP
GrahamNR17

GrahamNR17

Arch said:
Looking at the lights in that pic you posted, I'm sure you could make something up, even if you just found a way of slipping a cheapish LED light inside the old bulb housing (might have to cut the old housing out). The main thing I suppose is being able to operate the switch and get to the batteries when you need to.
Been thinking along them lines too, but I'm a bloke and I was thinking of something else at the same time, and we just don't do 'thinking of two things at the same time' :sad: The rear light is perfect, very 70s, would be great with modern internal gubbins. The front one is a bit 80s though, and a rather garish colour. I may hunt around for an Ever Ready Front Guard (the older metal one) and see what I can achieve.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Out with mates last night and we got talking about the old acetylene lamps that used to hang from the hub of a penny farthing - they hung on a pivot so that they always hung down, and cast their light through the spokes and rim. My friend mused on whether any eegit ever thought "That needs tightening up!" and ended up with a lamp spraying lit acetylene in an arc as the wheel span....

"I say, old chap, do you know your hat's on fire...?"

OP
OP
GrahamNR17

GrahamNR17

Arch said:
Out with mates last night and we got talking about the old acetylene lamps that used to hang from the hub of a penny farthing - they hung on a pivot so that they always hung down, and cast their light through the spokes and rim. My friend mused on whether any eegit ever thought "That needs tightening up!" and ended up with a lamp spraying lit acetylene in an arc as the wheel span....

"I say, old chap, do you know your hat's on fire...?"
:ohmy::laugh::smile::sad::rofl::tongue:

Bokonon

Über Member
SJS sell LED replacements for standard push fit and screw fit bulbs, but only in red (so rear light only) and rated at 3V for battery use.

Creating a white LED replacement for battery use would be trivial, as simple as an LED and a resistor if the polarity of the fitting is known. Replacements for a dynamo system, however, would neccesitate a much more complicated power conditioning system.

OP
OP
GrahamNR17

GrahamNR17

Bokonon said:
SJS sell LED replacements for standard push fit and screw fit bulbs, but only in red (so rear light only) and rated at 3V for battery use.

Creating a white LED replacement for battery use would be trivial, as simple as an LED and a resistor if the polarity of the fitting is known. Replacements for a dynamo system, however, would neccesitate a much more complicated power conditioning system.
Superb, just ordered a couple, that's the back light sorted :sad:

Arch

Married to Night Train
I'm guessing the rear light runs off those big old cells - D's or C's? Blimey, an LED will run to the end of time on those!:sad:

OP
OP
GrahamNR17

GrahamNR17

Yeah, D cells and they weigh a ton (like it matters on a bike that heavy :sad: ) but I have those adaptors, it's like a hollow D cell that takes an AA size.

Just hitting ebay for a suitable front light - and I can't find one :tongue:

Arch

Married to Night Train
GrahamNR17 said:
Yeah, D cells and they weigh a ton (like it matters on a bike that heavy :laugh: ) but I have those adaptors, it's like a hollow D cell that takes an AA size.

Just hitting ebay for a suitable front light - and I can't find one :biggrin:

If you are prepared to bide your time, you might find something browsing in charity shops...

Top Bottom