Older guy-New Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
A few week ago my old Trek runabout developed a crack in the frame and was retired to the bike bike rack in the sky :cry:
I have been looking for a replacement at the budget end of the market but nothing suitable showed up. I eventually came across an ad for a 'Carrera Vanquish' road bike selling locally for £100 and decided that it was worth looking at even though it was not what I really wanted. The bike was advertised as having been stored for a while and was in good condition. I will say now that I have never owned a modern road bike as my interests are more in the line of leasurly touring forays from time to time. The owner had to dig out the bike from beneath a pile of his kids old mountain bikes and scooters etc, and it was covered with dust and cobwebs and looking really sorry for itself. That is when I had a senior moment. I pumped up the tyres , sat on it, (perfect fit) and took off around the block.
When I got it home and gave it a proper once over I came to the conclusion that it had hardly been used because I could not find a blemish anywhere.The only downside is that the bike is definitely from the cheap end of the range but having said that I am quite happy with the deal.
I took it it out for a few miles yesterday and was amazed to find that it is at least 10% quicker than my other bikes. Oh why did I wait until I was 77 to buy a road bike.

IMG_0180.JPG

A few week ago my old Trek runabout developed a crack in the frame and was retired to the bike bike rack in the sky :cry:
I have been looking for a replacement at the budget end of the market but nothing suitable showed up. I eventually came across an ad for a 'Carrera Vanquish' road bike selling locally for £100 and decided that it was worth looking at even though it was not what I really wanted. The bike was advertised as having been stored for a while and was in good condition. I will say now that I have never owned a modern road bike as my interests are more in the lin6e of leasurly touring forays from time to time. The owner had to dig out the bike from beneath a pile of his kids old mountain bikes and scooters etc, and it was covered with dust and cobwebs and looking really sorry for itself. That is when I had a senior moment. I pumped up the tyres , sat on it, (perfect fit) and took off around the block.
When I got it home and gave it a proper once over I came to the conclusion that it had hardly been used because I could not find a blemish anywhere.The only downside is that the bike is definitely from the cheap end of the range but having said that I am quite happy with the deal.
I took it it out for a few miles yesterday and was amazed to find that it is at least 10% quicker than my other bikes. Oh why did I wait until I was 77 to buy a road bike.

View attachment 653808

Hey, better late than never ^_^ Hope you have a lot of enjoyable miles. That's a lot of bike for the cash.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Say what you like about Halfords they come up with some budget classics and this has surely got to be one. No frills but a good solid bike. The only down side on these budget bikes is that the OE tyres (likely if not much used) are rather naff but easily remedied by replacing with something more puncture resistant and better rolling.
Enjoy.

T4tomo

Guru
I have been looking for a replacement at the budget end of the market but nothing suitable showed up. I eventually came across an ad for a 'Carrera Vanquish' road bike selling locally for £100 and decided that it was worth looking at even though it was not what I really wanted. The bike was advertised as having been stored for a while and was in good condition. I will say now that I have never owned a modern road bike as my interests are more in the line of leasurly touring forays from time to time. The owner had to dig out the bike from beneath a pile of his kids old mountain bikes and scooters etc, and it was covered with dust and cobwebs and looking really sorry for itself. That is when I had a senior moment. I pumped up the tyres , sat on it, (perfect fit) and took off around the block.

View attachment 653808

Carrera are generally good solid bikes for the money.

Oh why did I wait until I was 77 to buy a road bike.
You have a drop bar touring bike though don't you? Not a vast difference, although the Carrera will be a bit lighter not encumbered with racks and guards etc

OP
OP
taximan

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
Carrera are generally good solid bikes for the money.

You have a drop bar touring bike though don't you? Not a vast difference, although the Carrera will be a bit lighter not encumbered with racks and guards etc

Not a lot of difference on the surface, but there is an enormous difference in performance even for an old fart like me.

AndyRM

XOXO
Nice, I've had a couple of Carreras over the years and I've never been able to fault them. The Subway was a particularly enjoyable machine.

That's got a very cool colour scheme too!

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
That's quite a good bike for the price.
If it does what you want it to do, and you enjoy it, then it's a good buy.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom