Older ICE Trice - Opinions please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Up to 1k already!

......and not significantlydifferent from the one that didn't sell at £499. (Disc V Drums) Moral of the story - don't put off road tyres on a trike if you want to sell it for a good price.(unless it is an ICE Fat)
2nd moral of the story if you want to pick up a bargain trike at a good price, look for one owned by someone who foolishly put off road tyres on it before trying to sell it.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Personally, I wouldn't by a second hand trike without seeing it in the flesh.

If anyone is thinking about diving into the 'bent world, I'd recommend a trip to Kevin at DTek in Little Thetford.
I was very tempted, but I came round to your way of thinking as the trike is described as "At least" 15 years old. Even if the frame is sound one could never be sure whether bearings and running gear are in good nick or not and that £500 could soon mount up. I'm coming round more and more to a new Performer, good reports of them on here and they seem great value for money.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
You won't go wrong with a Performer SJ. I met another happy Performer owner at the recent Mildenhall Rally. He now has a set of my mudguard brackets - which is the one thing Performer hasn't got right. (Happy to make more sets - for a small donation to the RNLI)
If you do buy one, don't forget to calculate import duty and V.A.T. to the final price if not included. A1 Adventuresports who are the dealer listing on eBay (based in Australia) were spot on.
You can probably haggle a little on price or spec for example ask for bar end shifters rather than twist grip and ask for the mudguards and rack to be thrown in as part of the deal.

Have seen some of the Australian trikes on some websites - with some problems - buying from halfway around the world means you won't get much of a warranty if something does go wrong . But you pays your money - and gets what you pay for .
vat and duty I believe works out to another 22% IIRC . I did look at them a couple of years ago before going down the path we took.

I am more than pleased with our fleet of home builds and if anything goes wrong I have only got myself to BLAME

have fun

emma

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Have seen some of the Australian trikes on some websites - with some problems - buying from halfway around the world means you won't get much of a warranty if something does go wrong . But you pays your money - and gets what you pay for .
vat and duty I believe works out to another 22% IIRC . I did look at them a couple of years ago before going down the path we took.

I am more than pleased with our fleet of home builds and if anything goes wrong I have only got myself to BLAME

have fun

emma

Performer do have a first owner frame guarantee of 5 years (IIRC) and Steve the dealer in Brisbane was very helpful with my purchase. Somehow I escaped paying import duty and VAT - it was simply not requested when the courier delivered..
Your welding is obviously much better than mine Emma - I would also know who to blame if something went wrong with a self built trike ......the idiot that put it together!

PaulM

Guru
emma

22% ? And the rest! Something like ((Purchase price plus delivery plus insurance) + 15% import duty) + 20% VAT. More like 40%.

I'd suggest the KMX Venom as budget trike. The reviews are pretty good and you'd be support a British company.

PaulM

Guru
Same as the Catrikes? ....

EDIT: The KMX does use bushings instead of headsets (as some earlier Catrikes did). This is certainly cheaper but I'm not sure how much of a disadvantage it is in practice. They probably have a steering dampening effect which might actually be an advantage.

Last edited:
Having ridden a DKS steering trike for 8 months before going to USS I would not go back to a steering system that moves the steering in a foreign way to the natural system of under seat steering .

Only 3 hours left on the e-bay trike - remember the reserve might be higher that the starting price !!!!!!!!!!

PaulM

Guru
Direct steering has more left-right movement and less fore-aft movement than indirect steering. It's a question of degree and individual hand-brain co-ordination. Catrike direct steering is pretty much as good as ICE indirect steering IME though heavier. The KMX direct steer may have less fore-aft movement than the Catrikes and may be a little more difficult to control for some. YMMV.

I took a while to get accustom to DKS move right to turn left is a bit disconcerting going down hill at over 50mph

Have ridden a bike for over half a century USS feels natural :bicycle:. :cycle: .:cry:....^_^

I would suggest to try before you buy ( about 5miles worth of try )

Still some of us home builders --------- DON'T LIKE COMPROMISE ------------.
When you can have luxury ^_^

regards emma

PaulM

Guru
I struggle with tiller steer on a bike but had no problems with my Catrike. Challenge changed the steering on their Concept trike from direct to indirect steering (actually both options were available for a while) because some people struggled. Always worth getting a test ride.

Top Bottom