Older ICE Trice - Opinions please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew1971

Veteran
Smokin Joe don't mention girl's you may get away with it :smile::okay:

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
I am surprised it didn't sell first time round - but agree that the off road spec and high starting price probably put people off.
The early Peter Ross Crystal Engineering Trice models were variable in quality - and there was an early model that had a very weak frame at the back end - which did have a tendency to crack. Some of the welding was of variable quality too and a few did split at the cruciform.
Basically though the later versions were pretty well sorted and ICE didn't radically change the design on their early models when they took over production.
Any old Crystal Trices that are still out there probably had no welding issues or have already been repaired so I think this would be worth a punt. The seller has taken detailed photos of the underneath - but I guess that if he had wished to, he could easily have hidden welding issues with a little filler prior to painting.
My first bent trike was a Ross Trice and it was a great little trike to ride. I sold it on for a little more than I bought it for and my main reason for selling was the old larger 20" wheels as it was impossible to get decent tyres for ERTRO 451 rather than the newer ERTRO 406. I had toyed with swapping the wheels or getting new rims laced to the original hub - but in the end I decided on a complete upgrade. Ironically one of the other factors in my decision to sell it was the lack of mudguards or a way to mount them (anyone riding that trike in Winter without mudguards us going to get dirty to say the least) whereas my Performer came with mudguards......but the mounts are made from cheese so I fabricated my own anyway!

My first trike was one of those early Peter Ross Trices.

TriceCuldrose.jpg

Allegedly the frames were welded and manufactured by a group of sixth formers in Cromer!

I changed the wheels to 406/559 fairly early to get better tyres, but strangely, although all my present trikes have mudguards, I never bothered for all those years on the Trice

I had mine with various design changes for almost 18 years and it was a blast to ride. I eventually upgraded it for a Catrike Expedition

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
My first trike was one of those early Peter Ross Trices.

TriceCuldrose.jpg

Allegedly the frames were welded and manufactured by a group of sixth formers in Cromer!

I changed the wheels to 406/559 fairly early to get better tyres, but strangely, although all my present trikes have mudguards, I never bothered for all those years on the Trice

I had mine with various design changes for almost 18 years and it was a blast to ride. I eventually upgraded it for a Catrike Expedition
I assume you were happy with it, any issues?

Initially the frame failed were the rear triangle joined the main boom - it was repaired with a reinforced rear end.
I also had one of the "tabs" that secured the seat replaced
The new frame failed at the bottom point again a couple of years later and was replaced with a whole new frame, this time in two parts
That one failed at the cruciform, and I received a new front end with a gusseted weld

After that it was basically the same as the one you are looking at and that lasted some eight years with no problems

It seems a lot, but don't forget that at this time it was an experimental, pioneering world, and these failures which were quickly sorted was part of the pioneering designs of the time... so there was almost an expectation that there would be some failure and modification

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
FYI mr p

you cannot use filler under powder coating - The powder WONT STICK unless its metal

regards emma

Thanks - that is something that I didn't know Emma - but I guess the point is still the same that the new paint could hide a multitude of sins.

you get new paint on a new trike

that could be hiding a multitude of sin !!!!!!!!! :evil:

Andrew1971

Veteran
Myself i would rather buy brand new then second hand. With new you get 12 month warrany. Do you get that for second hand me thinks no.
Now someone is going to prove me wrong !!

Have welder will travel - having built 14 trikes and bikes ,
I prefer to build and mend my own its quicker , and at least I know what its made of -

Back on subject

At £500 I think the trike is worth a punt , and £50 would convert it to road trim -

My first trike was a trex at £250 , I whipped of the bar end shifters and some of the nice bits and sold it a year later for more than I paid for it and had a queue wanting to view it .

Its better than a lot of low spec trikes being offered on the market for more

Top Bottom