Older Muscle - Training or Disuse

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm busy doing other things but might watch it later. Meanwhile, would you care to summarise its findings for us...? :whistle:

I'm busy doing other things but might watch it later. Meanwhile, would you care to summarise its findings for us...? :whistle:
Ditto but I had it on in the background. On first listening though it didn't sound like anything rocket breaking. Previous studies have focused on the unfit and a study of the fit showed incredible abilities of the body to regenerate. Keeping fit is the best way to promote it but even getting fitter helps you get closer to optimum muscle regeneration.
I'll listen to it properly later on and see if I missed anything :okay:

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

Lifelong exercise protects against muscle loss and decline
Lifelong exercise protects against VO2 max decline
Exercise is specific when it comes to muscles. Strong legs from exercise doesn’t protect against muscle loss in arms etc.
Lifelong exercise preserves the immune system
It not known how much a dose of exercise is required to preserve these things.
It is not known which mechanisms are providing this protective effect.
There is evidence that muscles remember previous exercise and change gene expression in response. They adapt better if they have a long history of adapting before.
Muscle atrophy and loss of strength is not due to aging but disuse and time.
If you are in an ICU for 7 days you can expect to lose 20% of your muscle strength.
There is both loss of motor units and fibres which lead to loss of strength in sedentary adults. It is not known what leads to the motor unit loss but lifelong exercise prevents it.
Muscle fibre loss is also combined with increasing amounts of fat in the muscle making them even weaker in sedentary individuals.
You can‘t completely reverse the affects of a sedentary lifestyle only make better what you are left with. It won’t be anywhere near what you’d be like if you’d remained active. But you can improve the years you are able to remain independent.

Lots of other stuff.

ColinJ

Cheers.

Sounds interesting - I'll watch it after shopping/eating!

If you are in an ICU for 7 days you can expect to lose 20% of your muscle strength.
A few weeks ill in bed at home followed by 9 days in a non-ICU hospital bed led to my body chomping up my muscles. I lost several stone in weight and ended up with scrawny legs and even scrawnier arms.

Last edited:

mustang1

Guru
Lifelong exercise protects against muscle loss and decline
Lifelong exercise protects against VO2 max decline
Exercise is specific when it comes to muscles. Strong legs from exercise doesn’t protect against muscle loss in arms etc.
Lifelong exercise preserves the immune system
It not known how much a dose of exercise is required to preserve these things.
It is not known which mechanisms are providing this protective effect.
There is evidence that muscles remember previous exercise and change gene expression in response. They adapt better if they have a long history of adapting before.
Muscle atrophy and loss of strength is not due to aging but disuse and time.
There is both loss of motor units and fibres which lead to loss of strength in sedentary adults. It is not known what leads to the motor unit loss but lifelong exercise prevents it.
Muscle fibre loss is also combined with increasing amounts of fat in the muscle making them even weaker in sedentary individuals.
You can‘t completely reverse the affects of a sedentary lifestyle only make better what you are left with. It won’t be anywhere near what you’d be like if you’d remained active. But you can improve the years you are able to remain independent.

Lots of other stuff.
So basically if you work 14 hour days sitting down in an office job and just getting a "little exercise by going for a walk to the canteen", you're screwed.

ColinJ

On first listening though it didn't sound like anything rocket breaking.
Apparently not...

Hippocrates in ~600 BC said:
That which is used develops, and that which is not used wastes away... If there is any deficiency in food or exercise the body will fall sick.
:whistle:

Interesting first half...

That lecture has reminded me that I definitely need to do more varied exercise than just cycling... My legs, heart and lungs are okay but the rest is a bit of a disaster zone!
I don't know why but I seem to have strong bones (touch wood to my knowledge I've never broken anything) whereas the logic says I should be mixing it up also to maintain bone structures (especially having undergone chemo) :wacko:

ColinJ

I don't know why but I seem to have strong bones (touch wood to my knowledge I've never broken anything) whereas the logic says I should be mixing it up also to maintain bone structures ...
Me too. I did something incredibly stupid last year and could easily have broken a hip, but I somehow got away with it. (I was standing on a wall which is at about my waist height and without thinking I took a step backwards, falling directly onto the pavement outside my house! It was a heavy fall and for a couple of seconds I lay there stunned, too scared to try moving my legs. But when I finally checked myself, there were only minor cuts and bruises!)

... especially having undergone chemo) :wacko:
Good luck with your recovery!

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Me too. I did something incredibly stupid last year and could easily have broken a hip, but I somehow got away with it. (I was standing on a wall which is at about my waist height and without thinking I took a step backwards, falling directly onto the pavement outside my house! It was a heavy fall and for a couple of seconds I lay there stunned, too scared to try moving my legs. But when I finally checked myself, there were only minor cuts and bruises!)

Good luck with your recovery!

You may have strong muscle around it offering some protection

I don't know why but I seem to have strong bones (touch wood to my knowledge I've never broken anything) whereas the logic says I should be mixing it up also to maintain bone structures (especially having undergone chemo) :wacko:

I think that is down to luck. I have had many falls, some very heavy and not all from cycling, and have also never broken a bone.

But I have torn and detached several ligaments and tendons.

Perhaps I have strong bones and weak tendons.

Top Bottom