Olympic cycling - track and road (may contain spoilers)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bitsandbobs

Über Member
@Once a Wheeler gives a few examples of why above - for example cutting away in the middle of the action for an interview. They could at least take it seriously when they give it what little coverage they do.

I suppose so. I guess they realize not a huge amount of people are that interested.

13 rider

Guru
Anyone up early to watch the women's race ? ,Does Lizzie have a chance to do a Carapaz while everyone watches the Dutch or are the Dutch to strong
Question how are the numbers of riders per nation decided ?

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Anyone up early to watch the women's race ? ,Does Lizzie have a chance to do a Carapaz while everyone watches the Dutch or are the Dutch to strong
Question how are the numbers of riders per nation decided ?
The race starts at 5am and is supposed to take about 5 hours so I will pick it up at 8am, good enough for me.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Apparently, the reason that the BBC is chopping and changing between sports is a broadcast rights issue. Discovery/Eurosport/GCN basically have bought the pan-European rights and can broadcast/stream everything. The BBC can do just 2 sports at once.

I was looking forward to watching the RR using my new subscription to Eurosport. Oh, I can watch 6+ hours without a commentary, or the 57 minute highlights show with a commentary. Highlights it is. Make that about 35-40 minutes once the ads are taken into account. (When did they come back? My last subscription only ended a month ago and coverage was gloriously ad-free.)

Question for the day: When are highlights NOT highlights?

Answer: When they are EUROSPORT highlights... And there are 200+ kms to go. A group of riders is going away... Ad break... And with 90 kms to go, the breakaway is... Ad break... Oh, there we are now only 14 kms to go. The breakaway has evaporated. Something has happened but we don't need to know about that. It has been a really exciting race has it, and that is Carapaz and another rider off the front now... Just when and how did that happen? Hello, is anyone listening? Don't bother telling us then... Ah, Carapaz won. Well, at least I saw the first 20 riders cross the line.

Superb! :banghead:

Last edited:

yello

Watching the women's road race. 85km to go, looks warm out there. Camera careful to not get too close to the lead rider as she has her jersey undone and what she's revealing is uncertain. It is Sunday morning after all.

Coverage switched to fencing (not garden variety) as there's a French competitor.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
They'd need to be getting a wriggle on to catch the break, although absolutely nobody wants to work for the Dutch - directly or otherwise

yello

Back to cycling. Footage of a fall just shown. Was that caused by the metal strip at the centre of the road???

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Apparently, the reason that the BBC is chopping and changing between sports is a broadcast rights issue. Discovery/Eurosport/GCN basically have bought the pan-European rights and can broadcast/stream everything. The BBC can do just 2 sports at once.

I was looking forward to watching the RR using my new subscription to Eurosport. Oh, I can watch 6+ hours without a commentary, or the 57 minute highlights show with a commentary. Highlights it is. Make that about 35-40 minutes once the ads are taken into account. (When did they come back? My last subscription only ended a month ago and coverage was gloriously ad-free.)

Question for the day: When are highlights NOT highlights?

Answer: When they are EUROSPORT highlights... And there are 200+ kms to go. A group of riders is going away... Ad break... And with 90 kms to go, the breakaway is... Ad break... Oh, there we are now only 14 kms to go. The breakaway has evaporated. Something has happened but we don't need to know about that. It has been a really exciting race has it, and that is Carapaz and another rider off the front now... Just when and how did that happen? Hello, is anyone listening? Don't bother telling us then... Ah, Carapaz won. Well, at least I saw the first 20 riders cross the line.

Superb! :banghead:
Colin, GCN+ was 20 quid for the year and ad free.

Top Bottom