England : London Olympic Road Race Route 19th Sept

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
I may need to take wife to hospital this AM so would Martin or failing Martin someone else pl text a contact number to 07768 045 698. Most convenient meetup will be Cappucino Cafe at say 0930 - immediately after the R turn into Upper Richmond Rd, 24m along on RHS, next to Putney Cycles. Tall guy, white shirt, red gilet. Sorry for complications.
You should have a text.

gbs

Guru
"You should have a text."

Thanks - have replied.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Well that was fun. 4 of us for a while but Geoff decided it wasn't for him before we left Richmond Park. I think this a personal decision, no amount of "Oh come on you'll be fine" will help 50 miles later when you're not fine so I didn't try to change his mind.

So Ant, me and Charlie set off on the ORR. Traffic was pretty bad but it did clear once we'd got outside the M25. We did get to watch a tree being cut down, badly. So badly in fact that I think we would have still been waiting for them to clear up as whoever was driving the crane seemed to let go of quite a large bit of the tree at what didn't appear, to a layman in these things at least, to be the correct moment.

We took Staples Lane rather than Shere Road, apparently the ORR went up Staples. It's ok, it's easier than Shere I think. Lunch was also ok. I think if we do the ORR again, it may be time to look at other alternatives. The service is pretty lousy and the food seems not to be as good as the first time we went.

Over Whitedown for a bit of variety and then on to Box Hill. No real drama. We dropped Ant in Richmond Park and me and Charlie went to play with traffic on the Fulham Road. I can't decide if I miss commuting in Central London. I hate the nutters but I like the weaving in and out of traffic. Charlie headed north at Hyde Park Corner and I headed onto my old stamping ground the Old Kent Road. A bit of SCR but short-lived. I was hoping for someone to at least test me as after all I was coming up to 100 miles for the day. One RLJer got in front for a bit but got scalped and firmly dropped on the quick run in to New Cross.

Shooters Hill is a b*****d after 100 miles!! And home, 102 miles on the clock and a brilliant way to spend a Wednesday.

Cheers to Ant and Charlie for the company and to Ant for leading the ride.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Cheers Chaps - a damn fine way to spend a sunny (if chilly enough for armwarmers) Wednesday :thumbsup:

Never done Staple Ln before and it was a nice way to go, I think. Preferred it to Shere Rd / Newlands Corner, in any case. My suggestion of Whitedown on tummies full of chips and stuff was met with surprising enthusiasm and it was a good way to get the blood pumping again after an hour sat in a sunny beer garden. Shame about my flat on the Ranmore Descent - luckily the rear and not a 'killer' front blowout!!

Boxhill was as charming as ever and the run home from there was all good. I clocked 87.something after leaving Charlie & Martin in Richmond Park, on the way back into London. Being about 3 miles from home just proved too tempting :smile:

Thanks Again,
SD

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
Thanks a lot guys. Perfect day out. The sun shone, the miles (mostly) flew by at high speed and the tarmac on Box Hill immaculate.
Great view from the top of Staple Lane, from where Wembley Stadium was clearly seen, at least 30 miles distant.
First attempt at White Down Hill, which defeated me for a little way. It's a s#d, that 'un.
Rode back to Rickmansworth from HPC, when 7 o'clock arrived and it meant I could put the bike on the train, at any rate for the last 10 miles.
105 for the day, bath, sausage casserole and (more) chips and bed. It's a school night, after all.

U

User10571

Thanks a lot guys. Perfect day out. The sun shone, the miles (mostly) flew by at high speed and the tarmac on Box Hill immaculate.
Great view from the top of Staple Lane, from where Wembley Stadium was clearly seen, at least 30 miles distant.
First attempt at White Down Hill, which defeated me for a little way. It's a s#d, that 'un.
Rode back to Rickmansworth from HPC, when 7 o'clock arrived and it meant I could put the bike on the train, at any rate for the last 10 miles.
105 for the day, bath, sausage casserole and (more) chips and bed. It's a school night, after all.
Stormin'
Envious.
That's all.

gbs

Guru
Today provided a wakeup call; I have had an easy summer bike-wise and found the pace up to Star and Garter quite demanding and so withdrew at that point; at my age voluntary suffering in search of some fitness goal does not appeal and given my old fashioned schooling I have a horror of being the weak link in the chain.

So, you added Whitedown, well done! I think it is the most demanding of the the Surrey Hills. My personal score is L2, W3; both losses being first time in the year efforts.

I had an alternative day; hot chocolate at Costa Cafe, Cobham where I dealt with client emails for half an hour, a visit to Polesden Lacey House (magnificent grounds and views), the tricky descent of Chapel Lane and up to Ranmore Common via the splendid parish church built by a Cubbitt (grandson of the builder of much of Belgravia where you started the day), the rapid (for some) descent to Dorking, lunch at the new cafe at Box Hill and eventually home to Fulham. Not my original intention but nonethless very satisfactory.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Nice one gents!
Whitedown? Eeeurk...
It's been quite a while since I last did Whitedown, it's not as bad as I remember it. The only issue with Whitedown is there's no real reward for climbing it. Toys Hill (which I think is much tougher) at least gives you a couple of miles downhill into Brasted on a good road surface

rb58

Enigma
It's been quite a while since I last did Whitedown, it's not as bad as I remember it. The only issue with Whitedown is there's no real reward for climbing it. Toys Hill (which I think is much tougher) at least gives you a couple of miles downhill into Brasted on a good road surface
I agree about the descent off Toys Hill, but I think as a climb, Whitedown is tougher. The thing about Toy's Hill is that it plays with you - you get to the junction thinking you've conquered it, then you turn the corner and it really kicks up for the last bit.

Sounds like a great ride, sorry I missed it - I was in Lancaster yesterday, although that did give the chance of a bit of Boris biking and an late night commute home.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
I agree about the descent off Toys Hill, but I think as a climb, Whitedown is tougher. The thing about Toy's Hill is that it plays with you - you get to the junction thinking you've conquered it, then you turn the corner and it really kicks up for the last bit.

Sounds like a great ride, sorry I missed it - I was in Lancaster yesterday, although that did give the chance of a bit of Boris biking and an late night commute home.
Toys Hill still makes me nervous, I never know how much it will take out of me. Whitedown I was comfortable with a gear to spare, similar to Ditchling in that respect.

Top Bottom