Olympic RR course

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldroadman

Veteran
No problem with it being hard, riders at that level should be able to handle that and expect a difficult race. But I do have a problem when organisers expose riders to stupid danger as on the last descent. Absolutely ridiculous. I've been down some technical descents, but not one like that where there are rain gullies at the side just waiting to send you into a serious crash, somersault or worse whack yourself on the high kerbs. Whoever thought that course up and approved it for UCI should be hanging their heads. One of the world's best descenders breaks bones that need surgery to sort out, a young women is hospitalised with spinal fractures, just how far out of touch are the designers and approvers?
Geraint might be fit and possibly start the TT, he was lucky to escape with losing skin.
Credit to the winners, they took their opportunities, but it's not acceptable to have a stupidly dangerous descent so close to the finish of a race that is second only to the worlds in importance.
I don't suppose it ever rains in Rio (as it did slightly in the women's race), a good rainfall on that descent would have caused absolute carnage. So easily someone could have been injured for life, lost their career, or worse lost their life.
Then there was the minor but silly stretch of pave - where half the road was barriered to force the race onto the pave. Why? It added nothing and it's not a b.....y spring classic!
The vehicle regulation was rubbish too, motos everywhere and dodgy passes, looked like anyone who was a mate of someone in the organisation and owned a moto turned into an accredited pilot for the day. And don't get me started on the car driving.
The organisation was nowhere near world class standard. If all that sort of thing happened at the ToB then, correctly, the organisers would be in trouble.
Thank goodness the riders produced some superb racing.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
No problem with it being hard, riders at that level should be able to handle that and expect a difficult race. But I do have a problem when organisers expose riders to stupid danger as on the last descent. Absolutely ridiculous. I've been down some technical descents, but not one like that where there are rain gullies at the side just waiting to send you into a serious crash, somersault or worse whack yourself on the high kerbs. Whoever thought that course up and approved it for UCI should be hanging their heads. One of the world's best descenders breaks bones that need surgery to sort out, a young women is hospitalised with spinal fractures, just how far out of touch are the designers and approvers?
Geraint might be fit and possibly start the TT, he was lucky to escape with losing skin.
Credit to the winners, they took their opportunities, but it's not acceptable to have a stupidly dangerous descent so close to the finish of a race that is second only to the worlds in importance.
I don't suppose it ever rains in Rio (as it did slightly in the women's race), a good rainfall on that descent would have caused absolute carnage. So easily someone could have been injured for life, lost their career, or worse lost their life.
Then there was the minor but silly stretch of pave - where half the road was barriered to force the race onto the pave. Why? It added nothing and it's not a b.....y spring classic!
The vehicle regulation was rubbish too, motos everywhere and dodgy passes, looked like anyone who was a mate of someone in the organisation and owned a moto turned into an accredited pilot for the day. And don't get me started on the car driving.
The organisation was nowhere near world class standard. If all that sort of thing happened at the ToB then, correctly, the organisers would be in trouble.
Thank goodness the riders produced some superb racing.
It was shocking. Which is not to say unheard of, because, when it comes to rider safety, Cookson has turned out to be the proverbial chocolate teapot.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Having been to Rio (and indeed up the road to Vista Chinese), I have to say that you'd be hard pressed to find a safer road up mountains or hills in the city. The roads just aren't very safe. Having said that, I thought that the course was tough but made for good racing, however I agree that the final descent was too dangerous.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

oldroadman

Veteran
It was shocking. Which is not to say unheard of, because, when it comes to rider safety, Cookson has turned out to be the proverbial chocolate teapot.
I don't think Mr Cookson gets involved at a detail level like course design - that would be like suggesting the BC president is responsible for every aspect of organisation of every championship. I do think that UCI need to be asking some very hard questions of their road commission though. Which of course might come from the president via the management chain. Then, what do I know? Just happy that I never faced a plain dangerous descent as bad as that, ever.

OP
OP
O

oldroadman

Veteran
Having been to Rio (and indeed up the road to Vista Chinese), I have to say that you'd be hard pressed to find a safer road up mountains or hills in the city. The roads just aren't very safe. Having said that, I thought that the course was tough but made for an good racing, however I agree that the final descent was too dangerous.
The up bit was fine...but every course designer has to think about getting back down. That said, sticking the final climb (OK) and descent (daft) within 20km of the finish was plain silly.

DogTired

Über Member

Don't agree with this - risks should be as low as reasonably practical. Hard to argue this was the case, especially when you have top pros hitting the deck and getting badly injured. Its not unreasonable to expect someone to come off on that descent and its fairly obvious they'd get badly injured in those concrete gulleys.

And no the riders haven't complained publically about the course, but that's different from approving of it. I suspect some might have retrospective words in their retirement biographies.

Putting the onus of safety onto racing competitors (they knew the risks!) is never a good idea.

OP
OP
O

oldroadman

Veteran
We only have one allocation for the TT and that will be Froome
Apparently if some countries decide not to start, spare places get allocated to other nations - or so it appears. I thought the same, one space, one rider, but who knows? If it is correct, I suspect odd things like this have much more to do with IOC than UCI!

Isn't this part of road racing? That you race on the roads?

Those are the local roads, those are what is to be raced. After all, alternatively, they can go in to track cycling

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I agree that the descent was a nightmare. But I suppose if the organisers wanted to finish in Rio, they only have certain options to play with. The town is in the bottom of a bowl and everywhere else is up.

My view now is that anyone on a cycling course, whether they be a cameraman, motorbike rider or in a car. They should all be first aid trained and be able assist whenever possible. Yesterday could have been a tragedy, all for the lack of someone stopping and giving immediate first aid.

Top Bottom