Olympic RR course

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I'm conflicted by this ....
When normal roads are used for sporting events by their very nature it will never be possible to ensure 100% safety. The IOM TT and Cycling events demonstrate this. The alternative is the tracks that F1 use that are very sanitised with big run-off areas as befits the nature of the sport, but fatalities still happen. Safety is at the end of the day is a judgement call not an exact science.
Having said that, I was surprised that the deep gutters at the edges of the road were not protected on the sharpest bends. Simple bales would have helped significantly etc. etc. for low cost.
However, was there any objections from teams or the UCI before the race? I've not heard any, so that many nations and those that had recce'd the course seemed to be happy with it.
At the end of the day, most competitors made it down safely. Did those that crashed simply push too hard?

OP
OP
O

oldroadman

Veteran
You're right, I haven't been paying attention over the last few years. I had no knowledge of posts at the side of the road with bollards on the top but I am aware of the issues with following vehicles and fans on cols at the TdF. I've also seen the stupid risks that riders take such as passing closed barriers at level crossings during Paris Roubaix. I have no satellite, buy no magazines and only catch up with the odd classic via streaming or race report o Cyclingnews. I admit to only watched about 4 stages of the tour as well, but how's that relevant to the race that's being discussed that I have watched?

I do however, know what it's like to be in race winning position (albeit some years ago and in amateur racing) and have some idea how caution to the wind is blown away and any care for personal safety can bypass the brain when you're pushing yourself in that situation.

As mentioned in many places the crashes were amongst leaders in the closing stages - and these were big names such as Nibali who's known for kamikazee attitude to descending - and the injuries were generally 'normal' cycling crash fractures that could happen during a crash on straight roads with smooth tarmac.

Edit: Past experience doesn't make me an expert of course, but it does mean I can have a point of view and express it.

OP
OP
O

oldroadman

Veteran
You're right, I haven't been paying attention over the last few years. I had no knowledge of posts at the side of the road with bollards on the top but I am aware of the issues with following vehicles and fans on cols at the TdF. I've also seen the stupid risks that riders take such as passing closed barriers at level crossings during Paris Roubaix. I have no satellite, buy no magazines and only catch up with the odd classic via streaming or race report o Cyclingnews. I admit to only watched about 4 stages of the tour as well, but how's that relevant to the race that's being discussed that I have watched?

I do however, know what it's like to be in race winning position (albeit some years ago and in amateur racing) and have some idea how caution to the wind is blown away and any care for personal safety can bypass the brain when you're pushing yourself in that situation.

As mentioned in many places the crashes were amongst leaders in the closing stages - and these were big names such as Nibali who's known for kamikazee attitude to descending - and the injuries were generally 'normal' cycling crash fractures that could happen during a crash on straight roads with smooth tarmac.

Edit: Past experience doesn't make me an expert of course, but it does mean I can have a point of view and express it.

Your point about being in a race winning position is well made. Certainly among amateurs this "brain fade" seems to happen quite a bit. Possibly it's less so when racing is a living and everyone knows the risks of losing that living. Although in the past few years there seems a lot more risk taking and less respect for fellow professionals than in the past. Plus the lure of a win in a major race is something that can affect rational judgment. The balanced view of risk versus reward can disappear when the opportunity is obvious, All that said, that descent was technical and OK except for the rain gullies, and lack of any kind of protection on the dodgy sections, which in a race like this is needed as the one guarantee is that in the last 20km people will take risks when the reward is so great. The organisation should have recognised that and taken appropriate steps.

I agree that the descent was a nightmare. But I suppose if the organisers wanted to finish in Rio, they only have certain options to play with. The town is in the bottom of a bowl and everywhere else is up.

My view now is that anyone on a cycling course, whether they be a cameraman, motorbike rider or in a car. They should all be first aid trained and be able assist whenever possible. Yesterday could have been a tragedy, all for the lack of someone stopping and giving immediate first aid.
Appalling that the person filming the above was too busy to help :thumbsdown:

Appalling that the person filming the above was too busy to help :thumbsdown:
What could he/she have done though? It was entirely likely that she had a spinal injury, in which case moving her at all would be extremely unhelpful. She was face down, so unlikely to choke, and visibly breathing. What would the help have been (assuming they weren't a medic of some kind)? What would you have done to help? (Arguably, standing there would draw attention to the accident from the bikes and cars coming down, so that's some help.)

Reactions: mjr

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I was in a similar situation last year after an accident. I laid there for quite a while and the first people who got to me could only speak German. I was just so pleased to have someone with me .

Thats what the cameraman could have done, talked to her. A bit of reassurance makes a big difference.

Top Bottom