Olympic Torches

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scruffmonster

Über Member
Debates with friends, colleagues, and general belligerent types have been lengthy and passionate... may as well be opened up to the whole internet...

- Does anyone really believe that more than maybe 5 (at a push) will be sold for more than 4 figures?
- Does anyone really believe that more than maybe 20 will be sold for more than 3 figures?

There will be 8000 of these things. Most of the bids on eBay look dubious. If there was really a market for them, surely they'd all be the same exact value on eBay right now? The price should be equalising...

Economists... have your say.

10 years ago when the golden jub. medals were being doled out, the lucky few who got them first, - if they could sell them legally- got £1000+ for theirs. Within a fortnight the ebay price fell to about £250 and shortly after to the replacement cost of about £30. There was a lot of cachet among collectors to be one of the first to have one. I expect similar to happen here.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
We were just having a similar discussion at work.

The tourch bearer who is going 8,000th must be kicking themselves, by the time they get to ebay their torch the market will be flooded.

Doesnt each bearer have to pay £300 for the tourch in the first place? I would guess £300 is about their worth, anyone paying £10,000 is mad.

machew

Veteran
Their will be 11500 torches, 8000 for the flame relay and the rest for the IOC to hand out

OP
OP
Scruffmonster

Scruffmonster

Über Member
This was my point. I'm going to be a Torch Bearer and everyone is telling me I'm going to have a 'Life Changing sum of money'. I said I'd be lucky to get £500.

Lots of people are auctioning theirs now and saying 'Delivery by 20th July'... I guarantee that even if the auction hits £3000, they will never see that money.

OP
OP
Scruffmonster

Scruffmonster

Über Member

Zero bids though. Will probably stay that way.

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
Top Bottom