Olympic Torches

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Reporter stationed on the Clifton Bridge for BBC Breakfast this morning was saying how exciting it all was, and how people were already there, excited, and look, here they are, being excited.

Camera panned left to reveal 8 people, 3 of whom were policeman.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
I'm actually glad I was rejected by seb coe's lot, it's really quite embarrassing this!

screenman

Legendary Member
You lot really have not got this at all, which is what I expect of most members here. The torches are being sold to raise funds for chosen charities, most buyers are not looking too the torch as an investment but a way to give to the charity.

As for anyone dissing the Olympics get a life, be supportive of your country and embrace our sporting success.

Arch

Married to Night Train
You lot really have not got this at all, which is what I expect of most members here. The torches are being sold to raise funds for chosen charities, most buyers are not looking too the torch as an investment but a way to give to the charity.

As for anyone dissing the Olympics get a life, be supportive of your country and embrace our sporting success.

Apparently. I haven't actually seen that stated in any of the ebay adverts I've looked at, and you'd think it would be a selling point.

If someone wants to give to charity so badly, why don't they do it anyway?

What about people apparently selling photographs of torches, or the mug signed by a torch bearer? No whiff of desperate bandwaggoning there?

I'm not dissing the Olympics themselves, although I could question the value of a few round lumps of metal in a world where there are so many with not enough to eat, nowhere to live, no freedom. I'm dissing the hysteria. If the Olympics are great, they shouldn't need so much hype and marketing. But no hype and marketing wouldn't make anyone any money, would it?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I hear it got lost today...
I heard that too - about 20 mins after the Breakfast Presenter had joked about that happening. However it seemed to have caught up a little of the lost time by the time it got to where I was. Lots of cyclists following and also lining the streets.

screenman

Legendary Member
Arch I doubt the Olympics will make much money, also how do you know that the people wanting another excuse to give to charity are not already doing so?

Always look on the bright side of life.^_^

Arch

Married to Night Train
Arch I doubt the Olympics will make much money, also how do you know that the people wanting another excuse to give to charity are not already doing so?

Always look on the bright side of life.^_^

It'll make a hell of a lot for advertising agencies, sponsors, contractors and various hangers-on. Al the cost of it has to have gone somewhere, surely? None of which have anything to do with actual sport, which is kind of sad, for what's meant to be a festival of sporting excellence.

I actually enjoy watching some of the sport, mainly the more unusual sports that don't usually get coverage. I just find the hype irritating.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
How long will that be? The former not the latter.

August probably

subaqua

What’s the point

no problem with the olympics and the sporting concept, really looking forward to a huge medal haul for Team GB. the big problem is the organisation, the wastefulness despite the Greenwash of the Greenest games ever . if it truly were being a green games you wouldn't have 40 BMWs sat outside the hockey arenas at the prepares event with the engines running.
although as i havent got any proofs signed in triplicate by Seb himself in his own blood its obviously all bollox.

why was there a need for a individual torch for all bearers. i thought a relay needed to use the same baton or the participants were disqualified.

a far more sensible idea would have been 10 maximum which could have been auctioned off for "good causes" after the games.that would have raised a huge amount for charidee.

as for the get a life comments, well i have put life on virtual hold for the past 3 years as we had sectional handovers every 6 months up until september 2011 , then there was a handover of " sub venues" almost monthly. and what galls the most is that in alll the coverage, you never get to see anything of the bit i am on as its not deemed "sexy " enough. its the bit the modern olympics would be ballsed without though . you can hold an event anywhere but you can't see pictures without what i built

Linford

why was there a need for a individual torch for all bearers. i thought a relay needed to use the same baton or the participants were disqualified.

The torch procession came through my town last night. It is anything but a small affair. The flame is living on a coach, gets driven from town to town in a massive procession of vehicles and buses with a load of heavies to bat the crowds away, and the runners waiting at specific points to have their torch lit by another one. They are glorified gas barbeque lighters at the end of the day and I suspect that the Health and safety had more than a passing say in the proceedings. I doubt if 10 torches would last the duration with the amount of handling they get, and would need a team of technicians to keep checking their safety. The relay bit is the lighting of the flame betwen torches, and I would be surprised if there was more than 20 minutes of gas in each one (got close enough to handle it last night just by chance that the coach stopped right in front of me aa I was stood outside Lloyds Bank who are one of the sponsors)

asterix

Comrade Member

What's sporting success got to do with it?

Must say I am a bit disappointed with the accounts of the torch procession. It doesn't sound nearly as good as the commercial caravane that precedes the TdF peloton and superbly satirised in Belleville Rendezvous. Mind you, years of practice have gone into that celebration of kitsch.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I went to see the torch relay come through Ludlow today and enjoyed it. There was a good atmosphere in the town and with a bit of strategic positioning I was able to see the procession go past twice (with a change of bearer).

There was a moment when an ice cream van managed to accidentally get mixed up in the lead section of the convoy. The driver got a rousing cheer and, when he got over his embarrasment, put the chimes on, which got a good laugh. :laugh:

I imagine for the police involved, this is the job that makes their role worthwhile. For once everyone is pleased to see them and they seemed to be enjoying the spirit of it. ^_^

They come round again in a few days but this time passing about three miles from home. Looking forward to that. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom