Olympics 2020 Spoilers and chat.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Yaay!! Hong Kong won Gold in the fencing. :bravo:Edgar Cheung. :notworthy:

The first since 1996 and only the second ever gold medal. :dance::wahhey:

Now ruined by trolls on social media because his Father's a retired copper. :cursing:

Why would the medal success by ruined by social media, surely he won the medal fair and square ? Or do you mean that people are complaining about his father, which has ruined it for you ? :wacko:

OP
OP
Beebo

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Just people being typically nasty about someone's success. No need. :sad:
Piers Morgan always has to have a controversial opinion.
His latest opinion which he has dreamed up with the sole intention of causing offence, is that only Gold should matter. Silver is first loser.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
Why would the medal success by ruined by social media, surely he won the medal fair and square ? Or do you mean that people are complaining about his father, which has ruined it for you ? :wacko:
Is it just Hong Kong/China and Israel that are getting the Twits going, or are they investigating the backgrounds of competitors of all countries for fasist forebears?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Watched the womens street skateboarding this morning for maybe 3/4 hour.
Sorry, it didnt do it for me. (And i tried , gave it a chance).
My boss agreed. But then we're not 15 :okay:
I'd say it's no different to any of the other sports that depend on scoring by judges - gymnastics, boxing, diving, skating etc. I find them a bit of a diversion every four years.

I'd say it's no different to any of the other sports that depend on scoring by judges - gymnastics, boxing, diving, skating etc. I find them a bit of a diversion every four years.
Boxing is something the layman can mostly appreciate as a contest. The principles are at least very obvious. I can root for a Brit if I'm in that kind of mood.
The others I initially think "WOW - what skill, strength, elegance!" then by the 3rd display I've lost interest.

I expect people that actually know these sports get a very different experience 👍

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I expect people that actually know these sports get a very different experience 👍
Same with all sports really. If someone says "Oh X is so boring" they generally mean "I don't really know anything about X, and I'm not inclined to learn"

I know I'm wilfully ignorant of the sports I find boring.

gbb

Legendary Member
Re the street skateboarding. My take, I know theres a lot of skill but i (and i assume others) get no excitement, no appreciation of what goes into something when it only takes a few fleeting seconds to complete.

I might feel different when and if i watch 'freestyle' skateboarding , if it has a longer course, allows you to appreciate more of the skills (and spills), slalom, jumps etc etc.

Something thats over in 4 or 5 seconds is surely difficult to appreciate for most people.

Im not even sure most young people will be drawn to it anyway (in the street format). Of ALL my kics, grandkids and their friends over all the years...the only one of all of them who's shown interest in skateboarding itself is my 16 yo granddaughter and even then, im not sure she would be that interested in watching it. Permutate that across the population, surely it actually has a tiny following, hardly mass appeal.

No drama anyway, nothing to do with age, being a misery etc....it simply doesnt appeal to me, over too quick, doesnt hold any excitement, anticipation or sense of the skill actually needed. 1, 2, 3, 4.. thats it, done.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Well, at least you got to have a look at it. It's interesting to take a look around every now and then. You might come across something that inspires you to learn more. Or you might not.

In all likelihood, once this is over it will be another four years before I see any more taekwondo, basketball, gymnastics, skateboarding, canoeing, dressage, swimming ...

Same with all sports really. If someone says "Oh X is so boring" they generally mean "I don't really know anything about X, and I'm not inclined to learn"

I know I'm wilfully ignorant of the sports I find boring.
I respectfully but strongly disagree! Some sports just don't work well for spectators, and some appeal to different folkses. Two Exemplars:
- Rugby. Never played it. The basic principle is clear - get the ball over their line. & Only pass backwards. Over time I picked up more of the rules and tactics, but even knowing those 2 things at first it was pretty exciting.
- Ping-pong. A game I have played at minor league level for years, love it. Tried watching a match last night ... pointless. It's way too fast to pick-up what they're doing with the ball, and the rallies are crazy short. Tennis makes a much better TV sport (and I've only played that v casually).

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I respectfully but strongly disagree! Some sports just don't work well for spectators, and some appeal to different folkses. Two Exemplars:
- Rugby. Never played it. The basic principle is clear - get the ball over their line. & Only pass backwards. Over time I picked up more of the rules and tactics, but even knowing those 2 things at first it was pretty exciting.
- Ping-pong. A game I have played at minor league level for years, love it. Tried watching a match last night ... pointless. It's way too fast to pick-up what they're doing with the ball, and the rallies are crazy short. Tennis makes a much better TV sport (and I've only played that v casually).
Good point well made.

I was thinking more of things like American Football. I lived in the states for a while and never mustered any interest in it, but I know some people find it fascinating. If I'd bothered to educate myself I'm sure I could have found it interesting. I did with baseball and enjoyed it a lot.

I've never really participated in sport much myself, apart from running/jogging and cycling which I've never done competitively. Unless you count my personal war of active disinterest against organised sports at school - which I don't.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Beebo

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Another gold for the freestyle relay team.
The rowing team doesn’t seem to be as strong as in previous years. We have a silver so far.
The men’s four, which has been our blue ribbon event for the last 6 games, had a nightmare. I’ve never seen a boat lose steering like that.

Top Bottom