Olympics 2020 Spoilers and chat.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Mens time trial is unbelievable....all the top hitters are so close to each other in times

figbat

Slippery scientist
Charlotte Dujardin now GB’s most successful female Olympian ever - bronze in the individual dressage takes her to 6 total, with 3 golds. And this was on an up-and-coming horse, Gio, not her previous stalwart Allegro.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Charlotte Dujardin now GB’s most successful female Olympian ever - bronze in the individual dressage takes her to 6 total, with 3 golds. And this was on an up-and-coming horse, Gio, not her previous stalwart Allegro.
Hoping that this record will be smashed very soon by the lovely Laura Kenny.

Laura and Tom seem very similar - both look like they should be on a smaller bike, but are utterly confident and in control and almost part of their bikes to the point that you wonder if they were born on them.

"Charlotte Dujardin now GB’s most successful female Olympian ever - bronze in the individual dressage takes her to 6 total, with 3 golds.
"

Hoping that this record will be smashed very soon by the lovely Laura Kenny.
I think most athletes would prefer the 4 Golds. But it's not really a contest, especially two such different sports, so I now regret joining this discussion ... 🤦‍♂️

OP
OP
Beebo

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
"Charlotte Dujardin now GB’s most successful female Olympian ever - bronze in the individual dressage takes her to 6 total, with 3 golds.
"

I think most athletes would prefer the 4 Golds. But it's not really a contest, especially two such different sports, so I now regret joining this discussion ... 🤦‍♂️
I’ll join in too.
In a medal table one gold trumps any number of silvers and bronze medals.
It always strikes me as a bit odd that a country with 10 silvers but no golds will be lower that a country with just one gold.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I’ll join in too.
In a medal table one gold trumps any number of silvers and bronze medals.
It always strikes me as a bit odd that a country with 10 silvers but no golds will be lower that a country with just one gold.

The USA like to flip-flop between "All Medals Count" (Beijing 2008) and "Gold Medals Count" (all other Olympics except 1980).

Ever seeking hyperbole, Dujardin (presumably born under the gooseberry bush) is the most decorated, whereas Laura Trott/Kenny is the most successful.

OP
OP
Beebo

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
GB rowing has now come 4th in five finals. That’s a lot of potential medals going missing.

Their very successful coach Juergen Grobler retired in 2020. This was meant to be his last Olympics.

I wonder if his retirement has made just a marginal difference.

PaulB

Legendary Member
India don't seem to take the Olympics seriously, do they?

Despite their huge population, unlike in China, the Olympics aren't prioritised in any way. As an example Britain won 27 Gold medals at the Rio Olympics while India have won 29 medals of all colours in their entire Olympic history and only one Gold this century (so far).

It's always amazed me, that.

India don't seem to take the Olympics seriously, do they?

Despite their huge population, unlike in China, the Olympics aren't prioritised in any way. As an example Britain won 27 Gold medals at the Rio Olympics while India have won 29 medals of all colours in their entire Olympic history and only one Gold this century (so far).

It's always amazed me, that.
They take hitting hard balls very seriously (hockey and cricket, not sure about golf).

Top Bottom