Olympics 2020 Spoilers and chat.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Im in two minds about the showjumping.
The horse makes a huge difference.

In horse racing the named winner is always the horse, the jockey barely get a mention.
you mean frankie dettroi was barely mentioned when winning.........i bet not many can name any horse he won on??

OP
OP
Beebo

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
you mean frankie dettroi was barely mentioned when winning.........i bet not many can name any horse he won on??
I’m not saying famous jockeys aren’t well known. I’m saying the named winner of the grand national, derby and gold cup are all horses. Red Rum, Desert Orchid, Shergar. The horse does most of the work.
Im unsure whether an event that relies on the actions of a horse should be in the Olympics.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I’m not saying famous jockeys aren’t well known. I’m saying the named winner of the grand national, derby and gold cup are all horses. Red Rum, Desert Orchid, Shergar. The horse does most of the work.
Im unsure whether an event that relies on the actions of a horse should be in the Olympics.
Quoting Clare Balding on this one from last night (and if anyone knows something about horses, it is Clare), in horse racing, jockeys just jump on the ride they are offered, ride around the course and then get ready for the next one. It is all about which is the best horse.

For dressage, eventing and show jumping, it is about the relationship between the horse and the rider. A poor rider won't do well on even the best horse. So yes, the rider has a much bigger input into its success in the Olympics than it would in horse racing.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
But they are famous horses, not all horses reach that level of fame, but the riders, trainers and stables do.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Either way, a quick google confirms that equestrian events have been in the Olympics since the very start (ancient Greece) so I think it's fair to expect that they will be there for a while to come, even if some of us aren't too sure about it.

vickster

Legendary Member
Well done Holly Bradshaw :okay:

vickster

Legendary Member
Why's that any more ridiculous than a gold medal for running for 9 seconds or so? The skateboarding takes rather more skill I would say (and not just influenced by genetics or drugs ;) )

Top Bottom