Olympics overspend

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dawesome

Builders.

Stop being cryptic and admit when you said outlying estates will be left untouched you were talking a load of old trousers.

dawesome

[QUOTE 1699335, member: 45"]Nore

Afraid not. [/quote]

You're claiming the estates are not being redeveloped, even though I've posted the link to show they are.

Trolling now.

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
Take a stroll down The Highway:

Thousands upon thousands of people will be moving to Stratford over the coming years, and the area and its developers are working hard to create the kind of housing that will accommodate them. Apartments adjoining the Stratford’s rejuvenated centre with all its arts, entertainment and retail opportunities; Georgian-style terraces of family dwellings in the northern quarter of the Olympic park; and modern Scandinavian-style houses lining the waterways to the south.
Canalside housing and in parkland, homes in the Athletes Village, homes in the urban heart of Stratford City. Homes to rent, homes to buy, affordable part-rent/part-buy homes. All enjoying the incredible connectivity, infrastructure and facilities which this fast-growing area has to offer. All developed with a consciousness of the urgent need for a low-carbon, energy efficient future and benefiting from a menu of eco-innovations: green roofs, heat pumps, maximised insulation and combined heat and power systems.
And many conceived and designed by some of the world’s leading urban architects.
Stratford’s new developments will offer housing for every age and income. They will sustain and strengthen the youthfulness and diversity of the area, they will dovetail with Stratford’s history and heritage, and they will be built with respect for its existing communities.
Stratford is planning for the future - by planning for people.

http://www.stratfordlondon.info/stratfords-future

Whilst that is nice, the Eastend extends further than Stratford. And when I say regenerate, I don't mean "Build a loads of monsterous new-build, tiny, identikit flats which only "young professionals" will live in, I mean using what is already there and making improvements to and giving funding the EXISTING community. You know, libraries, community centres, community projects, rennovating old, abandoned buildings.

That sort of thing.

dawesome

[QUOTE 1699357, member: 45"]No I'm not.

I'm saying that Olympic money should be going into proper local development. You're saying that it is, [/quote]

I said nothing of the kind.

You've totally changed your argument.

You claimed outlying estates will remain untouched.

Simple question, do you now realise that this is not true?

Don't try and move the goalposts after you've been rumbled, it's dishonest.

dawesome

Whilst that is nice, the Eastend extends further than Stratford. And when I say regenerate, I don't mean "Build a loads of monsterous new-build, tiny, identikit flats which only "young professionals" will live in,

I'm delighted young professionals are moving in. The Canary Wharf development is another 20,000 jobs in East London. Young people with disposable income will move in. Some flats are better than others but i can't see a downside of a demographic shift that makes the area more vital and with higher incomes.

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
I'm delighted young professionals are moving in. The Canary Wharf development is another 20,000 jobs in East London. Young people with disposable income will move in. Some flats are better than others but i can't see a downside of a demographic shift that makes the area more vital and with higher incomes.

I have no problems with people moving in, however, the point I was making is that the existing residents of the area should be the one who benefit the most, after all, they are the ones dealing with the inconveience this is going to cause and have suffered from chronic underfunding for a number of years, compared to other boroughs. We should not be ousting other people by hiking up rents and also completely changing the unique character and diversity of the area. It's brilliant, don't just over develop it into legoland.

dawesome

[QUOTE 1699045, member: 45"]
You're yet to understand, and then suggest who is going to look after the lumpy park which will be left, while the outlining estates are left untouched.[/quote]

You mean like The Carpenters' Estate?

Sir Robin Wales, Mayor of Newham said:

“This is an exciting and ambitious proposition which offers great opportunities for Newham and we look forward to working with UCL. This development of world-class academic facilities in Stratford would create a wealth of benefits for the local area, the borough and East London as a whole. With leading educational institutions already firmly established in the area, another university would inspire Newham youngsters to look at the wider opportunities available to them. As well as presenting employment opportunities, a new campus will provide a significant boost to the local economy and provide a lasting legacy for the community.

http://www.gamesmonitor.org.uk/node/1435

dawesome

[QUOTE 1699119, member: 45"]How does a campus improve housing the other side of a fence?

.[/quote]

It brings educational, training and employment opportunities to locals.

What side of the fence do you think the estate is on? You think it's in the Olympic Park?

You claimed surrounding estates were ignored. You're wrong. Simples.

subaqua

What’s the point
Maybe they should have rounded up and exterminated the local residents first?

This is a stupid and insulting thing to say, the people in East London aren't feral.

not all of them no , but there are a lot of yoots who like doing that . and the park will be a magnet for them . the boroughs hardly have enough to clean what they have already. what happens when they get a park to deal with . what theygoing to cut to pay to keep a park clean . another of you "improvements" for East london ??

subaqua

What’s the point
Subaqua predicted confidently that the whole area will be strewn with dog mess and broken glass.

That's as insulting to East Londoners as anything I can think of. The implication being we don't deserve any of this and won't be civic minded and the whole area will be a "no-go zone", presumably cos of the feral eastender gangs roaming around raping nuns.

Prejudice, in other words.

The fact is more Londoners are positive about the games than negative. It's a British trait to moan and complain and predict disaster. Slagging off the Olympics by saying East London people will ruin it is just daft.
so why did you just say it then. nobody has here. perhaps if you actually read what i posted instead of imagining something in cloud dawesome land.

the money spent on a swimming pool that will be out of reach of most of those in the area - look at the poverty levels in Hackney - could have been spent on rebuilding al the pools in the 5 host boroughs. my Daughter ( 10 yr old) swims for a local team , they havent even been asked if they would like to use the aquatics centre after the games/legacy rebuild. its not the games its the horrndous waste of resources badly needed in the area. its the lies perpetuated in the name of sport. I posted about drapers fields earlier , they will have have been out of action for 2 years by the time they get returned , if they actually do. they were used every day by schools, evenings were always heavily oversubscribed as there was no other facility likje it. how the hell can this be an improvement for the people of the east end.

Wanstead flats will be a no go zone for 3 months in the summer , when the met build the muster centre. 3 months when the school holidays are on . the fkats are usually fairly well used in the summer. i take my youngest there on his bike , avoiding the broken glass that you seem to think the feral scum break right by the jubilee pond or am i imagining that and the plastic rubbish dumped in the pond , one that was restored in 2002 - thats 8 years for a tiny little bit of east london to bve trashed.

i have lost count of the times i have waded into the pond to clear rubbish that none of the local boroughs have the money to . an improvement ?? what do you think .

the BBC news was telling tonight with people saying thay were not going to change the travel pans to acccomodate the extra public transport passengers. an improvement for East london ??

subaqua

What’s the point
what not so dawesome has failed to address is the return of the allotments stolen by the ODA despite there being covenants on it. thats a huge improvement to people who used to live locally isn't it ??

if i didn't run the risk of losing my job with the company i have worked for since before the olympics were won I woukld tell you some things about wasteful spending by the ODA . some of the decisions have been lunacy on the bit i am on.
I have one about the stadium that everybody on the park knows about but dare not talk about . oh for an anonymous twitter account .

am i proud to have worked on the park - Yes , because the team i have have done a very difficult job in a very short timescale and the world will see what britain CAN do. I am also proud of al the work i have ever done and when i see the pictures beamed out of the park I will know i have done a huge amount in ensuring that happened regardless of the overspend and waste but its the legacy i am most afraid about.

right off to charge the camera battery for the pics of the non vandalism of the jubilee pond tomorrow .

subaqua

What’s the point
[QUOTE 1699766, member: 45"]Have you been caught by the speed traps while you've been on the site sub?[/quote]

no, no bikes allowed on the park :laugh: I did register 6mph walking from White post lane to work one day . I try to not drive on the park as Volker highways make traffic police look like maiden aunts.

subaqua

What’s the point
[QUOTE 1699783, member: 45"]Yeah, that's what I mean. I got a tour of the site last year and the coach driver got stopped by them.[/quote]

i try and avoid the shittle buses as they have become affectionately known . faster than 15mph in one would not be a good idea !! they bottom out on the fairly smooth surface of the loop roads below 15.

Top Bottom