On Guard Pitbull Shackle lock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrynCP

Über Member
I had one of those. Burglars attempted to steal the bike while in shed, and failed. They tried to use a metal pole as leverage, tried to saw through it and tried to mess with the lock and all failed.

Only reason I don't have it now is because I started keeping my bike inside after that (they damaged bike even if they didn't get away with it!) and somebody threw my lock away!

Levo-Lon

Guru
Its got the sort of security to stop a randome bike thief..and a Pro may well give it a miss..

All locks can be cut with a grinder so your really just deterring the walk by crooks.
id buy it at the price ..

annirak

Veteran
Every lock can be cut in 60 seconds it or less with a battery powered angle grinder. It's not quiet, though, so public places are safer from this sort of thing.

Leverage attacks only work if there's size for a lever, so use the smallest lock you can.

Bolt cutters aren't much use against properly hardened steel, but will slice through anything less.

The sad truth is that security means weight.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
http://www.tredz.co.uk/.OnGuard-Pitbull-Shackle-U-Lock-Plus-Cable-Gold-Sold-Secure_61144.htm

Anyone have one of these?
I want a solid lock for use at home and in high risk places such as town center or railway station etc.
I already have a much lighter lock for brief mid ride café stops etc.
Pitbull seems good value for money on a gold secure lock.
and I like the name.:evil:
Thanks for pointing this one out - I think I'll get one, been looking for a Gold Sold Secure for a while now. Does anybody know how much it actually weighs?

Thanks for pointing this one out - I think I'll get one, been looking for a Gold Sold Secure for a while now. Does anybody know how much it actually weighs?

Maybe 1 kilo for lock. It's not that heavy. It just looks big. I'm away at moment but if I was home I would weigh it a send some dimensions to you. It's light enough to attach to frame if you want to.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
3lb 10oz for the lock and cable, 3lb 2oz for just the lock
Ah, many thanks. I'm getting one.

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I decided to buy one.
I wouldn't carry it on an all day ride but for trips into town or when I intend leaving it locked for more than a few minutes as well as at home it will provide peace of mind.

Keys all work and turn smoothly.It seems the replacement key service only applies in the USA but as it comes with 5 keys that's not really an issue.

The fitting to attach it to the frame or seatpost is pretty good you put the lock in on an angle then twist to lock it in place. Personally I wont use that as it would mean removing one of my bottle holders so it can go in the panniers.

The metal bits have a rubber sleeve to protect the bikes paint.

I really think that this is a good strong deterrent .

Top Bottom