On helmets and hill climbing.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There is a hill I frequently go up. It ascends 2100 feet over 6 miles. So I guess you can say its a big hill. I do find that the lowest gear can be too low and you're spinning too much. So I tend to alternate between the first three gears depending on the gradient. That extra mph vs slightly more resistance can be worth it. But I guess everyone is different.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
One consequence of powering up hills for the amateur is what happens next, if you conquer your hill and then have to free wheel until you get your breath back I don't think you have gained much.

Usually after a hill, there is a descent, i.e. a perfect oppurtunity to rest.

However, even if not, what about the training benefit! After pushing yourself up the hill, you can then rest and recover until the next one, i.e. interval training.

There is a hill I frequently go up. It ascends 2100 feet over 6 miles. So I guess you can say its a big hill. I do find that the lowest gear can be too low and you're spinning too much. So I tend to alternate between the first three gears depending on the gradient. That extra mph vs slightly more resistance can be worth it. But I guess everyone is different.

This is rather confusing, it is as if you assume that the "correct" or "accepted" way to go up a hill is to just dump the bike in the easiest gear available and twiddle your way to the top.

ayceejay

Guru
Usually after a hill, there is a descent, i.e. a perfect opportunity to rest.
Sometimes after a hill there is another hill so it would be a mistake to adopt this technique as a general rule

However, even if not, what about the training benefit! After pushing yourself up the hill, you can then rest and recover until the next one, i.e. interval training

I agree that his might work as a training exercise precisely for the reason it wouldn't work in a race or long ride orendurance event.

Licramite

Über Member
I think it goes - outer ring gear 1 ,then 2, then 3, then 4, the 5, then 6 , then 7 , inner ring gear 6, 7 , 6 , 5, 4, 3 , 2 , 1 - help . stop push , push, inner , 7 , 6 , 5 , 6, 7. get off and push., finally look at map for a less depressing hill. - hang on turn around big ring 1 --

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Sounds like someone is paraphrasing Pantani - I think it was him that used to say that the reason he rode up hills so quickly was because he hated them and wanted to get to to the top quicker....
What language are you lot speaking?! :wacko: I absolutely love riding up hills, and I enjoy it far more than the descents.

What language are you lot speaking?! :wacko: I absolutely love riding up hills, and I enjoy it far more than the descents.
You should see a doctor, that's not a healthy mental attitude.

Licramite

Über Member

He's definately right, he has the right mental attitude - hills my favourate thing - most think o god another hill , crap I'm going to struggle with this one.
but no - be more dog - love the hills.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I love cycling up hills and there is nothing more exciting than racing up a hill IMO, I am primarily a time trialist but when racing hill climbs the time gaps are so small (2nd-6th in a recent Hill Climb I raced were within a sub-5 second window) there is an added incentive to really push yourself and excitement about it as people tend to to and fro between beating and losing to each other. The hill climbing scene is a wonderful group of people too, very social and inviting despite the ferocious competition!

What language are you lot speaking?!
I don't know what "guff" means either:whistle:

Surely, hill climbing depends on so many aspects. Fitness, strength, gearing, type of cycling (endurance, sportives, time trials, short races etc.), how far into your ride you reach a big hill etc, etc. I agree with a lot of comments above, but it really depends on your situation. I have a route that is fairly short but involves 3 very steep hills and I enjoy pushing myself on it (I know I will have enough in the tank to get home). I live in a very hilly area, so if I go on a long run, I sometimes look for less hilly routes.

Top Bottom