On One Pompetamine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuWW

I've only had time to read a bit of this post, but I'll be a Pompetamine Alfine 11 owner in a few weeks.

I went for an XL frame and I'm just over 6' tall with a 83cm inside leg, I'm after a more stretched out position, do you think this size will be OK?

I'll be using it as a bit of a do it all bike, light touring, commute and cycle trails.

Being a former Rohloff owner I'm intrigued as to how the Alfine 11 will measure up!

Cheers

Stuart

www.midlifecyclist.me.uk

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I'll be (slowly) building MacB's old frame up over the next few months into a John Tomac inspired monochrome hub geared drop bar 29-er/CX-er HTB (Hilly Terrain Bike - no plans to interface with real mountains) go-anywhere-in-Sussex-ride-anything-in-Sussex bike; which will venture into Surrey Hills off road from time to time. At which point something may break. A poor man's Singular (?Swift?) if you will.

So far... Midge bars, Paul Components cross top levers (cos they work with V brakes), Cane Creek Drop V levers, Alfine 8 hub, jtek bar end shifter, Stylo 1.1 cranks and a Forward Components BB are all I've ordered....

can't decide on (or afford) chi-chi front hub.... or rims, and will be building the wheels myself. ooh-eer-missus. Brakes will be Avid MTB BB7's. I thought of cannibalising my old road BB5's to see if I could build a black BB7 that works with road levers but then I thought "What could possibly go wrong with that?"

Plan for the weekend is to figure precisely what stem I need to get the bars where I want them.... and I smell a compromise brewing.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Holy thread resurrection....

and two-and-a-half-years later I finally finished building it and it's on the road, in drop bar fixed gear disc braked mode.

Holy thread resurrection....

and two-and-a-half-years later I finally finished building it and it's on the road, in drop bar fixed gear disc braked mode.
Thank Gawd for that, I thought Macb was building yet another bike. I was just perusing the parts list to see what might come up for sale in the future when I realised it was a two year old post.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
POIDH.

(flat bar, dyno-hub, Alfine 11 Pomp. owner here)
Can't get my camera phone to talk to my PC!

consideration is being given to a long distance back wheel (8 speed Alfine with a Jtek bar end shifter), already got the dynohub front for the winter commutes.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
IMG-20130715-00748.jpg

At work this morning after her first commute. Should warm the cockles of @MacB heart.
IMG-20130715-00749.jpg

I can see her going 36 x 14T or 36 x 15T before too long. 13T and a half link fouls the Dura Ace lock ring. Those pedals will be gone as soon as the new pair come from those nice Germans.
IMG-20130715-00751.jpg

Midge bars, for that full-on English Eccentric look. Tbh they hurt my shoulder impingement a lot less than conventional drops.
IMG-20130715-00746.jpg

I wanted the bars and saddle to be almost level. Arse-up heads-down no longer works for me when commuting. I may go for a slightly longer stem with a couple or three less spacers under it. Apologies for the camera shake, but my hands aren't as steady as they once were.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
There's a fair bit of detailing still to do, all held together with zip ties at present, and the odd component or several is missing (mudguards, lights, tubus fly rack, chain tug, et cetera, but it is a decent enough ride and considerably lighter/livelier than a Charge Plug.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Good job there Greg and I like the matching of bar tape to saddle...adds a touch of class

Top Bottom