On One Pompetamine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Ok, my package arrived from On One yesterday containing:-

Pompetamine frame XL in white
Pompetamine forks disc only white
On One forged alloy seatclamp
Planet X road strada 31.8 shallow drop 44cm bars
OnOne smoothie light headset
FSA OS120 road stem 110mm
2 x Avid BB7 road mechanical disc brakes with 160mm rotors

I dropped the frame, forks and headset in to LBS for headset fitting and collected them at lunchtime today. First problem, they had sent the canti, rather than the disc, forks. I hadn't looked and LBS have fitted headset and star nut, though the steerer remains uncut. Stupid of me but bloody annoying from OnOne as well, double checked my order and was definitely for the Pompetamine CroMo fork which the site clearly states is disc only. Message sent to OnOne and will get this sorted next week.

Anyway, on with the build, BB and chainset fitted no problem, disc rotor fitted to I-9 wheel and fitted caliper loosely to Pomp frame. Next I fitted the rear mudguard, SKS black, all went fine except for the fact that there's no drilling for top of guard bracket. There's a threaded hole underneath instead, so had to use screwdriver to make hole in top of mudguard and fitted via as flat headed a bolt as I could find. Fitted rear rack no problem, though legs share the same bolt as the mudguard stays.

Wheel fitting, it's currently shod with an M+ 700x35(erto 622-37) and this is as big as I'd want to go with mudguards. I have concerns about wheel removal and may change the tyres to a 32mm, due to the track end dropouts. Also not sure if I need some sort of chain tug, will discuss with LBS. The I-9 all slotted in just fine and no problems with the cable routing for the shifter. Also fitted saddle and seatpost, though saddle is temporary until I get a new one.

Parts still to come:-

aero brake levers and crosstops - I had wanted the Tektro RL340 in black but they seem to be out of stock everywhere, so now considering a Crane Creek option, but they are more than double the price. Also need to get the Tektro crosstops as they have the barrel adjuster as well.

brake cables, bar tape etc - these will be organised by LBS and I'll also finalise the BB7 setup at that point

front wheel - I don't have a disc front wheel and have decided it should be a dynamo one, just which one. I can get an Alfine centre lock one for £109 as a complete wheel but will then need to get a centre lock rotor or an adaptor. Then there's the SON28 available as a complete wheel for £208 from Spa Cycles. By my reckoning the cost difference will be about £60...decisions....decisions. Then, of course, there's the dynamo lighting but that'll have to wait until next month, but I plan on front and rear for this bike.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Sounds good apart from the wrong forks.
I will watch this thread with interest.
expecting pics in the future :biggrin:

barnesy

Looking forward to seeing this, im probably going to go for a pompetamine for my commuter bike. Any pics? Whats the finish like on the frame?

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Frame finish seemed pretty good to me, certainly all the bits went in no problem. Will do pics when Jane brings camera home from work, don't really want to use cameraphone, plus I'd not have a clue how to upload from there.

buddha

Veteran
On my pomp, for wheel removal with mudguards, I leave a gap of about 1.5 inches between the trailing end of the mudguard and the tyre. I suppose it may look weird from the side but it works with fat CX tyres.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

On my pomp, for wheel removal with mudguards, I leave a gap of about 1.5 inches between the trailing end of the mudguard and the tyre. I suppose it may look weird from the side but it works with fat CX tyres.

Hmmm, so how are you working that? I've got two fixed points, the first where the end of the mudguard bolts behind the B and the second where it bolts between the seatstays. To get more clearance at the rear, where the reflector is, then do you just push it back using the mudguard stays to hold it in position?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
MacB, which Shimano dynohub have you specced?

From what I hear, the 3N80 is close to SON performance (albeit without the perfection itself build quality of the latter).

buddha

Veteran
Hmmm, so how are you working that? I've got two fixed points, the first where the end of the mudguard bolts behind the B and the second where it bolts between the seatstays. To get more clearance at the rear, where the reflector is, then do you just push it back using the mudguard stays to hold it in position?
Yep, I use bog std SKS blumels BTW - which are nice and flexible.

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
When I was using SKS mudguards on my medium frame Pompino, I fitted extra emergency release clips on the rear so I could pop the mudguard out when I needed to change the tyre.

The frame size was so small, though, that I couldn't have fitted a rack and still been able to get the wheel out so I ended up with a Carradice Trax for luggage.

Sam

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

MacB, which Shimano dynohub have you specced?

From what I hear, the 3N80 is close to SON performance (albeit without the perfection itself build quality of the latter).

It's tricky getting info on them, I was looking at Peter Whites' info pages:-

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/shimano3n70.asp

He seems to rate the 3N70/71/72/80 & Alfine as pretty much the same and all very close to the 'OFF' rotating resistance of the SON. 1.5watts for the SON and 2.2watts for the Shimano offerings, compared to 6.5eatts from earlier Shimano dynamo hubs.

I can get the SON28, in silver, for disc brakes with a Rigida rim for £208 from Spa Cycles:-

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s170p0

But then there's the Alfine dyno hub for centre lock discs at £108.99 but I'd need to get a rotor or an adaptor as well:-

http://www.cyclesportsuk.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=8110

It's a quandry as Shimano do seem to have closed the gap on SON significantly, but longevity reports are obviously lacking at present. This is only interim for this bike though, eventually I want the Pompetamine white framset to have an Alfine 11 rear and SON20r black, front. Both wheels with black hubs, spokes, nipples and rims. The silver hubbeb I-9 and new dynohub wheel will move back to the Surly at this point. I'd also get the all black Alfine chainset as well.

I'm a tart and want the Surly to end up with a black and silver combo and the Pomp a white and black. also the £208 for the SON28 complete wheel isn't too bad, plus I've already got hand built wheels from Spa and have been very happy with them. My experience of generic, cheapish, wheels, and my size, doesn't fill me with confidence over the Alfine dyno prebuilt wheel.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Yep, I use bog std SKS blumels BTW - which are nice and flexible.

ok, had a little play and that works fine, I've repositioned the BB end of the mudguard so that it's on the BB side of the bridge rather than the tyre side. Let the stays out to their max at the back, thankfully not cut too short for this, and I can now remover and reinstall rear wheel easily with the 700x35's fully inflated.

Fortunately the frame is the XL so no probs with clearance and rack is on fine etc.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I'm a tart and want the Surly to end up with a black and silver combo and the Pomp a white and black. also the £208 for the SON28 complete wheel isn't too bad, plus I've already got hand built wheels from Spa and have been very happy with them. My experience of generic, cheapish, wheels, and my size, doesn't fill me with confidence over the Alfine dyno prebuilt wheel.

Even the most churlish observer would remark that you're a tart with impeccable taste though!

The 3N80's other major difference is lightness (compared to prior shimano offerings, as I recall.

Top Bottom