On One Pompetamine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buddha

Veteran
That frame looks good.

If only they'd change the colour of the kaffenback frame from 'dog-poo-sand' to something more sensible
rolleyes.gif

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Looking, by accident of course, at the On One site this morning and they had Alfine 11s listed. Seem to have gone now or maybe I was hallucinating. Wonder, if they return that is, if it's worth getting a flat bar 11 and waiting for Versa to catch up and then do a conversion. Or just get a Versa 8. Or a Day 01 Alfine. Oh Christ! ...

Saundie

Über Member
Looking, by accident of course, at the On One site this morning and they had Alfine 11s listed. Seem to have gone now or maybe I was hallucinating. Wonder, if they return that is, if it's worth getting a flat bar 11 and waiting for Versa to catch up and then do a conversion. Or just get a Versa 8. Or a Day 01 Alfine. Oh Christ! ...
It appears as though you were not dreaming; http://www.on-one.co...ne-alfine-11spd. Apparently adding the 11 speed Alfine bumps up the cost by £200, and as you note there's no Versa 11 shifter yet. Knowing my luck, Versa will announce an 11 speed shifter the day after my Versa Pro arrives :smile:

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Well hurry up and get one ordered then! :smile:

Yep, and then get your wallet out again as the Versa 11 speed shifters will not be hydraulic compatible, if they do them. so you'll need to also but new bars, shifters, cables and mechanical disc calipers. £1k for the Pomp Alfine 11 and then about another £4-500 to convert to drops as and when.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
The Alfine 11 options are rubbish. Only a 48t crankset, I think a 36 with an 18 or 20 would suit much better, for me anyway (that's using the MacB gear calculator™). No normal handlebars in normal colours, who wants white or gold ferchristsake!! Tyre price options are bit steep too. Buggery bollocks!

marcw

The alfine 8 has the same range as the compact chainset on my road bike. Not interested in paying double the money for gears I don't use. Should be popular with tourers and mtbs. Hopefully a reduced weight 8 in an oil bath is released at some point.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

The Alfine 11 options are rubbish. Only a 48t crankset, I think a 36 with an 18 or 20 would suit much better, for me anyway (that's using the MacB gear calculator™). No normal handlebars in normal colours, who wants white or gold ferchristsake!! Tyre price options are bit steep too. Buggery bollocks!

Yeah, I thought that on the gearing as well, assuming they only offer an 18 or 20t cog, that means the best you'll get is 35 to 141 gear inches. I wouldn't want to go higher than a 2:1 chainring to cog ratio which gives 29 to 117 inches. I'd rate 36:20 as giving the best spread, but I haven't seen if there are any limitations around the ratio, some hub gears limit how low you can go.

redjedi

Über Member
Looks good Al.

Is that shifter temporary? It looks a bit out of place, but I guess you're limited by the hub.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Looks good Al.

Is that shifter temporary? It looks a bit out of place, but I guess you're limited by the hub.

cheers, nope twist shifter only for the I-9, it's just slotted onto a bit of 22.2mm flat bar that's fitted to the end of the drops via an expansion bolt, just like a bar end shifter fits. I've been using this setup for a long time on the Midge bars and it's worked very well. Only concern here is they are regular drops not flared, so perhaps potential for catching it with my knee, we'll see. As far as the shifting goes it's actually easier than a normal barcon as, with a hub gear, you can stop pedalling when you shift.

Given the choice then I'd have STI style first and trigger/thumb shifters on the tops second. I don't think either of these options are in the pipeline from SRAM and the demand isn't there for the inventive, like Versa/J-Tek, to come out with anything but Shimano compatible stuff. Irritating though, as they all involve a ratchet and release mechanism and the variation is only total cable pull and amount pulled/released per shift. You would have thought a standard shifter could be made whereby you could just slot in a different ratchet cog to account for varying hubs/deraillers.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Finished it, Mac? :smile:

waiting on front wheel and now need to order some more bars and a stem. In a fit of impatience I decided to use the new stem and bars on another bike so have to order another lot for this. Still I've learned that I can unwrap and re-use bar tape.

Though following a post from you I did manage to finally find the Tektro RL340 levers in black that I wanted, via High on Bikes, and cheaper than eslewhere as well :biggrin:

Top Bottom