On One Pompetamine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wobblers

Euthermic
Very interesting, MacB. The thing that's made me hesitate over the Pompetamine is that there's only one pair of eyelets for both rack and rear mudguards - is that much of an issue? I trust you'll be bringing it along to one of the FNRttC so that I can make off with it have a good poke around err, see it in the flesh?? :tongue:

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out for you, MacB; the Pompetamine is on my "hit list" too, as it were!

Edit: So much so that I've ordered a Pompetamine Versa Pro :biggrin:

I'd be interested in hearing how it works out for you, Saundie. Review, please!! :biggrin:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Very interesting, MacB. The thing that's made me hesitate over the Pompetamine is that there's only one pair of eyelets for both rack and rear mudguards
Mrs Monkey toured on a Raleigh Pioneer Elite that had rack & guards sharing the same eyelet, fwiw.

Another option would be to buy a rack that allows mounting of the mudguard stays to it (Thorn's expedition carrier allows this, iirc).

Saundie

Über Member
I'd be interested in hearing how it works out for you, Saundie. Review, please!! :biggrin:
I'd be more than happy to, it should be a big step up from my existing bike. Could be a while before I can oblige though; checked the order status this morning to be greeted with the following message; "Order held whilst awaiting stock - Your order is on hold whilst awaiting delivery of a missing item(s)". I suppose good things come to those who wait, and all that!

marcw

I'd be more than happy to, it should be a big step up from my existing bike. Could be a while before I can oblige though; checked the order status this morning to be greeted with the following message; "Order held whilst awaiting stock - Your order is on hold whilst awaiting delivery of a missing item(s)". I suppose good things come to those who wait, and all that!

my Versa is the build stage at the moment so hopefully I'll have it soon. My wrists are hurting from riding my Alu/ Carbon bike over London's pot holed roads.

potsy

Rambler
Looking good Mac
thumbsup.png

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Okay, took some pics and, no, I'll never be a photographer:-

:wub:http://www.cyclechat.net/gallery/image/509-dscf0010jpg/

The seatpost and saddle are temporary, a new stem is awaited, 10mm longer. Also waiting on the front disc wheel, drop bar and crosstop levers and the Goodridge cable inner/outer for the disc brakes. Delay is my preferred Tektro levers are out of stock everywhere and I'm trying to decide whether I'm ok with Cane Creek ones instead. I know the two are mechanically the same but the Cane Creek hoods look a bit lairy.

I would say 35mm tyres are your max with mudguards on this frame, though I don't like the clearances too tight so others may be able to squeeze in bigger. The twist shifter is attached via my homemade bar extension, cost me a couple of quid compared to £40 for a proper Hubbub one, it does the job fine. The I-9 has different cable routing to the Alfine so the cable is fixed via cable ties along the chainstay and under the down tube. I've chosen Goodridge for the brake cables as their outers have longitudinal rods rather than the spiral of others, allegedly compress less.

The front wheel and mudguard are only on for fitting/sizing purposes, I'm going to have to be inventive for the mudguard stays on the disc side. The disc caliper mounts above the mudguard eyelet and is going to block a normal installation. I suspect I'll use a longer bolt and a bit of alloy tubing as an extension.

I have had a little spin on it and very comfy though not able to try properly due to no brakes. Future plans are for this wheelset & chainset, I-9/SON28, to migrate to the Surly completing the black and silver theme. At that point the Pomp will upgrade to an Alfine 11, SON20 Delux wheelset, all in black(rims/spokes/nipples/hubs) and an Alfine black chainset. The Alfine trigger shifter will either mount at the bar end or on the tops via a Minoura Space Bar. But I reckon those changes will carry a price tag of about £1k so will have to tread carefully on getting the full go ahead.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, dynamo lights, have decided on the Edelux front and a B&M rack mounted rear. These will stay on the Pomp and I'll get more dunamo lights when I get the second wheelset and swap bits over to the Surly.

Now all I need to do is sell some more bits to ease the funding a bit :wub:

Saundie

Über Member
my Versa is the build stage at the moment so hopefully I'll have it soon. My wrists are hurting from riding my Alu/ Carbon bike over London's pot holed roads.
I decided to email On-one to find out what the out of stock part was, they replied soon after to let me know that there wasn't anything out of stock after all. The bike is now in the build stage too, so I should get the Versa Pro sometime within the next couple of weeks. I'm looking forward to seeing just how much truth there is to "steel is real".

Okay, took some pics and, no, I'll never be a photographer
Looking good MacB, when do you expect to have it completed?

marcw

MacB what size chain ring is that? The i9 must be geared higher than the Alfine. I calculated the 48 ring that comes on the fully built Pompetamine, with an 18 tooth sprocket, to give me 2 gear inches less at the top and bottom than my road bike (exactly the same range). I'd like to use a smaller chain ring so I can fit a Herbie chainglider case around the drive chain, but I like the range on my current bike.

barnesy

Bike looks very nice, these are very nice looking frames
Im going to be buing one of these within the next week or 2 hopefully, Ive always bought my bikes from shops and been measured and come back to collect it. ON the site you can save £30 by building the bike yourself, what does this usually entail? Im quite good at maintaining my bikes and know a bit about them mechanically however im not sure what the build is specifically. Ive never worked with disc breaks or hubs before.

Basically should i shell out the £30 for them to build it?

marcw

I wouldn't have thought it would be too difficult. The hardest thing to get right is getting components that all work together as there are so many variations. They've done this for you. I've only got one bike and I built it so I'm getting On One to build my Pomp.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

MacB what size chain ring is that? The i9 must be geared higher than the Alfine. I calculated the 48 ring that comes on the fully built Pompetamine, with an 18 tooth sprocket, to give me 2 gear inches less at the top and bottom than my road bike (exactly the same range). I'd like to use a smaller chain ring so I can fit a Herbie chainglider case around the drive chain, but I like the range on my current bike.

Ah, chainring, probably going to change that again, I can't decide yet, that one is a 36t and the I-9 has a 20t cog. This gives a range from 26.6 to 90.4. Previously I had a 48t chainring on there which gave 35.4 to 120.6 but now I'm thinking somewhere in the middle would be better, a 40t would give me 29.5 to 100.5.

Basically when I had the 48t I never got to use gears 8 & 9 (105 & 120 inches), but then I never used the bottom gears either. I had the idea that I might as well set it to give as low as poss as I use the bike for utility and am more likely to have a need of a low gear than anything over 100 inches. But I don't tour so struggle to envisage using a gear below 30ish inches, hence the thought that a 40t would be spot on. The full range with a 40t would be:-

29.5, 33.8, 39.6, 46.5, 54.5, 63.9, 74.9, 87.8 & 100.5

I reckon that gives a pretty useful spread and would expect to ride in the range, 54.5 to 74.9, of gears 5, 6 & 7 most of the time.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Bike looks very nice, these are very nice looking frames
Im going to be buing one of these within the next week or 2 hopefully, Ive always bought my bikes from shops and been measured and come back to collect it. ON the site you can save £30 by building the bike yourself, what does this usually entail? Im quite good at maintaining my bikes and know a bit about them mechanically however im not sure what the build is specifically. Ive never worked with disc breaks or hubs before.

Basically should i shell out the £30 for them to build it?

It all depends on tools you have and what you're happy doing, I get the impression that, by saving the £30, you get a bare frame and all the componetry boxed. So you'd need to do the following:-

install headset, BB, chainset
fit and wrap the bars and levers
setup the disc brakes and then do the cable runs possibly including cutting the cables, maybe have to fit the disc brake rotors
fit and setup the hub gear - not as hard as it sounds, normally a case of getting the wheel in place(before you fit the brake disc calipers) and fitting the chain to size. Then you just do the cable run to the hub gear and adjust tension until the markings line up correctly, easier than a rear derailler
the rest of the usual stuff, fitting tubes and tyres etc

I always take a frame to my LBS for the headset fitting but am happy doing the rest myself, though I do treat my LBS as an additional emergency service :biggrin:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I always take a frame to my LBS for the headset fitting
Likewise - whereas people will tell you this can be done with two blocks of wood and a lump hammer, if you get it wrong your frame is b0rked. Definitely an LBS job unless you have the tools imo.

Top Bottom