On One Pompetamine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Spout Hill. I was on the shared pavement\cycle path, which is even steeper than the road. This was only my second ride on a bike with drop handlebars, and my first ride with clipless pedals. The pavement was wet, I leaned too far to the side, the tyre lost grip and the bike slid out from under me. Got unclipped but not in time to put my foot down, and so I hit the pavement. Fortunately there was no damage to the bike, and only minor bruising to my hip and shoulder.

I don't blame you for walking, that hill is steep! unlucky about falling off. it takes time to get used to clipless.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I believe I am right in saying that the gear ratios are the same on both the Nexus and Alfine hubs? My experience with the Nexus on my Subway 8 was a very large influence on my decision to go for the Pompetamine in the first place. Admittedly, I didn't give any real consideration to the differences in gearing and wheel size when I ordered the Pompetamine. How difficult would it be to switch to a 46x20 setup, for example?

Theoretically straight forward but you know how these things go, it would actually be even easier to just reduce the chainring only, 40x18 or 42x18 would both be very similar to 46x20. Just looked and the PCD or BCD(bolt circle diameter) of the chainset is 144mm, so, according to Sheldon smallest ring is 41t. You can get a 42t in black for £32.50 from here:-

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/genetic-tibia-1-8-144-mm-pcd-track-chainring-prod22514/

Then it should just be a case of shortening the chain though, with the rear disc caliper you may need to resort to a half link for positioning.

Be a lot more options if On One hadn't been using up, or got cheap, 144mm track chainsets.

Saundie

Über Member
I don't blame you for walking, that hill is steep! unlucky about falling off. it takes time to get used to clipless.
I'd probably have fallen off even if I wasn't clipped in, to be honest. I wasn't really paying attention to the environment, I was too focused on conquering the hill. I know it's not all that great of an achievement in the grand scheme of things, but it's sort of a benchmark for me. I found Park Hill Road to be pretty easy, even with the gearing so much higher than what I'm used to. I'm not sure if you know Shirley Hills Road (it's off of Gravel Hill and Coombe Lane), but that was a bit of a struggle. The good news is that I am not at all sore today!

Theoretically straight forward but you know how these things go, it would actually be even easier to just reduce the chainring only, 40x18 or 42x18 would both be very similar to 46x20. Just looked and the PCD or BCD(bolt circle diameter) of the chainset is 144mm, so, according to Sheldon smallest ring is 41t. You can get a 42t in black for £32.50 from here:-

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/genetic-tibia-1-8-144-mm-pcd-track-chainring-prod22514/

Then it should just be a case of shortening the chain though, with the rear disc caliper you may need to resort to a half link for positioning.

Be a lot more options if On One hadn't been using up, or got cheap, 144mm track chainsets.
Hmm, good point on the need to reduce the chainring only. I'm assuming that this silver 144 BCD chainring, with either 41t or 42t, would work too? Apologies for all of the questions, I am still quite ignorant about most of this stuff, though I am learning.

jack the lad

Yep that one from Spa should be fine and I rate Spa as a company to do business with, they've not disappointed yet.

I spoke to Spa on Saturday and saved a wasted journey (I live quite near). The 41/42T chainrings are 3/32 inch not 1/8 inch. For 1/8 inch ones you have to look under Chainrings-track - see http://www.spacycles...d=m2b0s172p1328 but they don't have them in stock. Just because it is on their website doesn't mean they have it and there was no guaranteed delivery date 'it depends if the wholesaler has any in stock'. Also, they would only order one if I bought online, not if I called in!

I have ordered this Blackspire one instead http://www.chainreac...x?ModelID=40531. It is in stock and, with free postage, £9 cheaper than Spa. I think the black finish will look just fine. I expect it to arrive tomorrow.

Standard gearing is just fine for the flat and I can get up a 1 in 6 on it, albeit slowly. It was the cumulative effect on my old knees of gearing that was slightly too high for long hilly rides that was the problem for me. I checked the gearing and my rear sprocket is a 20, not 18 as stated on the On-one website, so I'm thinking maybe I'm just too weedy! Hopefully the 44T front, bringing bottom gear down from 34 inches to 31 inches, is enough of a change.

The other thing I've changed is the stem. Standard one is 90mm on my flat bar version and I found it a bit too upright and the steering too frisky with any sort of load on the rack. Swapping the 120mm one over from my MTB has calmed it down and improved the riding position and the 90mm one suits the MTB better, which is nice!

Saundie

Über Member
The 41/42T chainrings are 3/32 inch not 1/8 inch.
Well spotted! The only 42t 1/8" 144 BCD chainrings that came up in my search were these Genetic Tibia ones. No idea if they are any good though.

Standard gearing is just fine for the flat and I can get up a 1 in 6 on it, albeit slowly. I checked the gearing and my rear sprocket is a 20, not 18 as stated on the On-one website, so I'm thinking maybe I'm just too weedy! Hopefully the 44T front, bringing bottom gear down from 34 inches to 31 inches, is enough of a change.
You can't be doing too badly, the hill that had me off the bike wasn't quite 1 in 6! It will be interesting to hear how much of a difference dropping down to the 44t brings, and whether you find it worth the time and expense.

Saundie

Über Member
Okay, I got the saddle from On-One this week, and have finally fitted it, along with the bottle cages. The result is this;

5105684784_ac9851bdb6_b.jpg

All that remains is to fit the mudguards. I will take some more photographs when it's light out - the radiator and folding chair do not make the best backdrop, I must admit. The saddle is a Selle Italia SLR Gel Flow, a respectable upgrade from the one in the default specification. I'll find out if it was worth the wait this weekend.

razorfish

I too have received my Versa now. Definitely a classy ride. I've taken it out a couple of times and find I use mostly gears 1-5 and unfortunately had to walk the steepest hills (48t/20t). I got this bike to get in better shape so a slow start is expected, but I still think the gearing is a bit too high so recently ordered this chainring in 42t. Looked into changing the entire chainset but the On-One chainset is really so nice it would have been a shame to discard it. The change from 48t to 42t should just about give me one additional low gear and as my fitness improves I figure the range will be about right. In an annual race around here people climb 1000 meters of altitude on road bikes where the lowest gear is usually 34t/25t and my setup puts me significantly below that.

barnesy

Ive just ordered on of these yesterday morning, it says on the account page that delivery is withheld whilst waiting on a missing item of stock.

How long did most people have to wait for delivery of theirs?

Saundie

Über Member
Ive just ordered on of these yesterday morning, it says on the account page that delivery is withheld whilst waiting on a missing item of stock.

How long did most people have to wait for delivery of theirs?
Ordered mine on the 21st of September, it arrived on the 8th of October. When I placed my order, it immediately went to the same status as yours - in my case it was the saddle that was missing (I did not learn this until it arrived without the saddle).

Langer44

I'm torn between the Day 01 and Pompetamine Versa Pro. Not too fussed about which looks best - more interested in the reliability, comfort, speed and practicality aspects. Which would you recommend for a daily 10 mile each way, reasonably flat, commute through London?

marcw

I'm torn between the Day 01 and Pompetamine Versa Pro. Not too fussed about which looks best - more interested in the reliability, comfort, speed and practicality aspects. Which would you recommend for a daily 10 mile each way, reasonably flat, commute through London?

neither if, only used on resonably flat roads get a fixed Pompino for half the price, less to go wrong so more reliable. Of all the aspects you mention I doubt there is much to seperate the Pompetamine and Day1. I made my Pompetamine more comfy by fitting a suspension seat post and my brooks saddle. Am happy to bounce across rough canal paths, tracks on it for miles. I have 32mm tyres on my Pomp and could go up much bigger, it will take 40 something. 35mm is the max you can get on the Day1, clearance is pretty tight. Larger tyres make for a more comfortable ride. Aside from that I don't think there is much in it.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
As a bike primarily for commuting I'd go Pomp whereas I think the Genesis would ahve the edge for offroad etc. Like Marc I'm a fan of as few gears as you can get away with and as simple as possible. However that would limit versatility, I'd be more tempted to but the Versa Pro and also buy a fixed/SS wheel to run in it as well. But that's based on getting the hub gear and Versa shifters in with the package. Buying them seperately at a later point would be expensive.

It really does depend on expected useage, versatility you need the gears, especially if you want to haul shopping in panniers, go for other rides, etc. If you only need it for a set commute, that is flattish, then SS/Fixed could be a better option.

I took my pomp on a few very dry dirt paths over the summer on 23s. Hull-Hornsea rail trail so towpathesque. Quite acceptable. I wouldn't want to do it after any rain though..
As the pomp can take wider rubber (garnered from above posts) wouldn't that make it a better prospect? Can't think there would be that much difference though, mostly down to personal preferences.
I am very biased towards the Pompino though! Love the thing.

barnesy

Just had a call from on one saying that the delay in the delivery of the bike was due to them waiting on some hubs coming in, he said i could have the bike a bit sooner if i wanted to swap for the XT front hub instead, the downside is its black and wont match the silver of the alfine hub.

Is the XT hub still of sufficient or even better quality?

Top Bottom