On One Pompetamine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saundie

Über Member
Took delivery of my Pompetamine Versa Pro this morning, somehow I managed to order it without a saddle even though I didn't use the customisation option - I just ordered the default spec. Other than that, everything seems to be in order. I took the saddle off of another bike so that I could ride it around the block for a few minutes; it feels completely different to my existing bike (Carrera Subway 8). I'll take it out for a couple of hours tomorrow morning.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Took delivery of my Pompetamine Versa Pro this morning, somehow I managed to order it without a saddle...

Hope you'll let them know, it's an expensive saddle on the Pro.

Glad you finally got it ... and relax!

Moodyman

Legendary Member
In my view the Alfine 8 would be fine for long rides of that nature, remember you can always vary the gearing by changing rings or cogs. If you have Alfine fittings then their 18t cog with the 39t ring gives a very good spread

That's just what I have on My Charge Mixer- 18-39 combination. Gets up and down all the hills in Bradford and surrounding area. Comfy too.

Rando - for the type of riding that you describe and the fact that you only want one bike, an 8 speed hub gear will be fine.

You've already mentioned Genesis and the Giant seek. There are also good offering from Merida s'Presso 8, Cube, Kona Dr Fine, Charge Mixer, Focus 8 and Marin San Selmo.

I opted for the Charge due to it's good components and steel frame.

Saundie

Über Member
Hope you'll let them know, it's an expensive saddle on the Pro.

Glad you finally got it ... and relax!
I sent them a message, hopefully they'll resolve the issue in a fair way - the saddle that was listed at the time of ordering was the Selle Italia Shiver Kevlar, so I guess they should send me one of those. It doesn't seem to be possible to order the bike without a saddle, deliberately or otherwise, so I have no idea what happened.

That aside, I'd like to get a rack for it sometime soon. I was looking at Topeak, and I couldn't figure out if I'd need a disc brake specific one - they're only a few pound more, so it's not a question of money, more of compatibility. The Topeak ones appeal to me due to the quick release locking mechanism, but I don't have my heart set on the brand or anything. Any recommendations?

Rando

Veteran
In my view the Alfine 8 would be fine for long rides of that nature, remember you can always vary the gearing by changing rings or cogs. If you have Alfine fittings then their 18t cog with the 39t ring gives a very good spread

That's just what I have on My Charge Mixer- 18-39 combination. Gets up and down all the hills in Bradford and surrounding area. Comfy too.

Rando - for the type of riding that you describe and the fact that you only want one bike, an 8 speed hub gear will be fine.

You've already mentioned Genesis and the Giant seek. There are also good offering from Merida s'Presso 8, Cube, Kona Dr Fine, Charge Mixer, Focus 8 and Marin San Selmo.

I opted for the Charge due to it's good components and steel frame.

Cheers for the info Moodyman. I didn't realise there was so much choice for hub geared bikes. I will check them out. Also reassuring that you state this kind of bike would be ideal for my type of cycling.
Thanks.

That aside, I'd like to get a rack for it sometime soon. I was looking at Topeak, and I couldn't figure out if I'd need a disc brake specific one - they're only a few pound more, so it's not a question of money, more of compatibility. The Topeak ones appeal to me due to the quick release locking mechanism, but I don't have my heart set on the brand or anything. Any recommendations?

I've got a non-disc supertourist DX on the (disc equipped) giant escape. It did need the ends tweaking a bit to line up but the actual width is fine with the discs. I had used a disc specific rack for awhile but never liked the long 5mm bolts and spacers that supported it, just looked vunerable to bending or shearing. didn't work too well with the bikebin pannniers either.
I'd suggest a lbs and actually looking to see what the fit would be like first.
My son has disc carrera gryphon which has the braze-on on the inside of the seat stays and the topeak will fit that easiily too.

marcw

I've got the disc specific version on my Pomp, works a treat. It's a very butch rack, will try and get a picture up tomorrow.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
i would be interested to know the result of that. might be picking up a day 1 on the weekend.

Font guard now fitted, stays had to be trimmed, top stay on disc side bent twice (only slightly) to fit, mudguards are recessed at forks which is a shame because without that they'd work fine, as it was I carefully trimmed the recessed bit off as it rubbed on the tyre. Fiddly as feck to fit but looks pretty good now it's on. So, yes you can fit SKS P45s with 35mm tyres. Back one now, see you in a couple of hours.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Font guard now fitted, stays had to be trimmed, top stay on disc side bent twice (only slightly) to fit, mudguards are recessed at forks which is a shame because without that they'd work fine, as it was I carefully trimmed the recessed bit off as it rubbed on the tyre. Fiddly as feck to fit but looks pretty good now it's on. So, yes you can fit SKS P45s with 35mm tyres. Back one now, see you in a couple of hours.
Done with the SKS P35's in white.

5065252460_66a5b1a322_z.jpg

barnesy

On the on one site there is a "readers ride" with a tubus fly on it

on one site

Nice slimline rack fitted on the disc version of the bike. £57 on wiggle tho so not cheap

Top Bottom