On owning a Caravan, CC'ers experience?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Dear God, does such a thing exist?
heresy.jpg

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
[QUOTE 4765979, member: 259"]Can you not just hire a caravan for a few days and see how you get on with it?[/QUOTE]
We have both stayed in caravans umpteen times in our lives, mainly as kids and loved it. I have done the motorhome lark which I love but which is costly.

We really want advice and things to consider from you lot as owners. We got a good and informative salesman yesterday and we will speak to some others but it always helps to have some owner/user advice too.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I really wouldn't fancy towing a caravan. Decades ago we had a camper. There was enough room for 2 adults, 2 kids, a very very large dog, and a cat (yes i said a cat).

Easy to drive and park. Had everything we needed, and was small enough to use as an everyday vehicle. Then the recession happened. Three day week, lack of money etc and we had to sell it.

If i had my time over, i wouldn't hesitate to have one again. I must admit though nowadays i would prefer the comfort of a hotel, to a camping ground.

D

Deleted member 26715

I don't think dogs were mentioned in the OP, so I didn't consider their needs.
Oh I do so humbly apologise, as you quoted my post I mistakenly thought your condescending comment was aimed at me

D

Deleted member 26715

For cool factor ( I know we're talking caravans here but bear with me), these can't be beaten
Yes they can

Turtle-1500-1.jpg

D

Deleted member 26715

That's quite cool: Don't forget, they're both old now and not quite as flexible as they used to be. That door's quite small and high.
True but it's what I want to tow behind the buggy in my avatar

D

Deleted member 26715

We like our caravan & would recommend it to anyone, we had vans when the kids were small & it was he only way we could really afford to get away. Now they are on their own we've gone back to it, the only thing I prefer from before was the old blade type stabiliser, I don't rate the new Alko type, I don't think they are as good.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
....So, what's not to like???
What are CC'ers experiences? I caravan holidayed a lot as a kid, so mine are dated, but I'm happy to give it a go!!
We decided to buy a caravan when we retired a couple of years ago.
Didn't want to splash out too much, so bought a very well loved Bailey Ranger 380/2 for £2500.
20161009_184351.jpg

It's in extremely good nick and has proved extremely reliable
It weighs less than 900kg so the Peugeot 207SW tows it easily.
Since buying, we have had over 100 nights away in it and love it to bits!
We bought it thinking that if caravanning wasn't for us, we could sell and not lose too much. We store it at a local caravan sales/repair place and the guy that runs it reckons he could sell it three times a week when it's in storage and get what we paid for it.
We are thinking of keeping it for at least another year before changing. Got our eyes on the Bailey Pursuit 430/4 - but will have to change the car to tow it. It's all on the cards though

We've toyed with having a motorhome but decided that it would only be practical for us if we were doing an extended tour, stopping one night here and one night there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom