On owning a Caravan, CC'ers experience?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Sitting in the van at this moment, peacefully quiet, lovely views across the Severn river, just about to pop out for a quick 20 on the bike and then a stroll later to the local for a nice meal and rehydration.

Anyone knowing of the Royal Hill Inn will know we are going to be well looked after.

Just me and the Mrs, life is great.

upload_2017-4-18_19-15-56.png

Saluki

World class procrastinator
We had a caravan and loved it so much that, after selling the 'van and regretting it, we got another one. We would have one again too.

Towbars come in around £200-250 fitted in our experience. We were Caravan Club members and stayed at non CC sites too. I told my insurance company that I would be towing a van and they more or less said "so what". Once in to the caravanning scene, you will get to know folks and the annual service costs will come down as you will know who to use and who not to use :smile:
We preferred a caravan to a camper van - we have had both - as you can just drive off and leave the 'van on it's pitch. An awning is handy but you will often pay less, on a pitch for a Porch Awning rather than a full awning. You can get some big old porch awnings. Look on Ebay etc, no need to get new.

Towing is a doddle, once you are used to it. I reckon that you will be fine. If you hate it, hang on to the 'van until Springtime and then sell it on.

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
I love my 1983 vw t25. Great to get away for the weekend or use as a day van for a day at the beach.
It can get expensive with an old van though and you pay extra cause theres a vw badge on the front.
If I were to do it cheaper a caravan maybe an option,but think I'd get a fairly new van and kit it out myself. Lots on youtube aid you if you like bodging with a mig welder

keithmac

Guru
Best thing we've done is buy our caravan, been tenting for 20 years before that.

We can be set up with kettle on in less than 20 minutes now from reversing onto the pitch, makes weekend trips a lot more viable.

Towing isn't too bad at all really, you just have to appreciate you're twice as long and take longer to stop.

It's a lot nicer than being in a tent when the wind gets up, and when it's freezing cold outside!.

What exact car have you got?, we found the caravan we all liked best but then had to change the car as well to get a decent towing match.

20160917_190151.jpg

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Best thing we've done is buy our caravan, been tenting for 20 years before that.

We can be set up with kettle on in less than 20 minutes now from reversing onto the pitch, makes weekend trips a lot more viable.

Towing isn't too bad at all really, you just have to appreciate you're twice as long and take longer to stop.

It's a lot nicer than being in a tent when the wind gets up, and when it's freezing cold outside!.

What exact car have you got?, we found the caravan we all liked best but then had to change the car as well to get a decent towing match.

View attachment 348167
We are trying hard not to do that which is why we are going for a lightweight caravan with our Dacia Logan .We figure if we enjoy it over the next couple of years then we will look to upgrade both possibly.:whistle:

Personally I'm looking at it like a big bike rack, a bike shed on wheels and we can save on hotel bills. I like a bit of comfort now as well as a bit of freedom.

keithmac

Guru
Is yours the Diesel?.

You look very close to towing limit. 1073kg vs 1150kg.

Caravan vs Car Kerb weight is recomended at max 85% for novice towers but yours comes out around 92%.

It'll be legal but put as much as you can in the car. Not trying to teach you to suck egss by the way if thats how it comes across I apologise!.

Screenshot_2017-04-18-20-53-45.png

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Go for it - if there are two of you, there won't be the junk that comes with 4, so lower weights and a smaller van.

My folks had a camper when we were in high school for a few years - didn't get used as much as it should, but we also had a static, as did my wife's family, and we've now got the In-law's caravan as they couldn't keep up the maintenance and getting there. It's a great escape for us just an hour and a quarter away, and it's a great cycling base. Thing is, ground rents and insurances etc add up to nearly £4k per year, but we use it most weekends.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Always been one for camping, from a young age with Cubs & Scouts. Until Mum & Dad bought a white over orange VW bay window camper, followed in 1984 by a brand new VW T4/T25 conversion. Covered most of Europe as it was 30 years ago in that van, with a Conway trailer tent towed behind (family of 5).
In my adult life I resorted to camping, and when SWMBO said no more lilo's I bought a trailer tent, a 1979/80 Conway, exactly the same as M&D had. That got eaten by mice, so replaced with a slightly newer 1981 Conway Canterbury. Always wanted a camper though. So I bought a van, and did some work to it. Sorry for the rubbish pics..
Van 1.jpg

Van 2.jpg

SCA 2 berth pop-top, Movelite inflatable awning. Last year we had no awning so had trailer tent in tow also, hoping to do away with that this year. Apparently the RIB bed is more comfy than the one at home. Can't comment as I've not been allowed to sleep on it yet!

Top Bottom